2008 Temp Gauge goes to Hot before Fan kicks in !?

2008 Edge SEL ~180K mls with everything HVAC original, owned since 2011

This is my wife's car but I drive it quite a lot. The other day I noticed for the first time while sitting in a drive thru that the temperature gauge had gone all the way to the right by the time we took off. I've never noticed this since we had the car so I didn't think this was normal.

When repeating the issue later, I found confirmed that - with AC off - the gauge went all the way to "H" before the driver side fan kicked in. Upon the fan running, the gauge went quickly back to the middle position. Next I set AC to 60 F, and it took a while and some driving for the passenger side fan to start up. Gauge however never again moved from the middle position (it was ~80 F outside) so all that seemed normal to me.

My question is, would it be normal for the temp gauge to ever go to "H" before the first fan goes on? Or does this indicate an issue with the control module or anything else?

Thanks for reading and any tips.... hopefully this hasn't been asked before. I haven't found anything on "almost, soon to be(?) overheating".

• 3 weeks later...