'14 3.5L HVAC Issues

Hey all,

Having intermittent HVAC issues with my wife's '14 Edge Limited, 3.5L, Dual Zone climate. 

All issues occur while running the HVAC in manual mode - both sides set to same temp. No DTCs present in any of the modules.

End of Last Summer - while running AC, the temperature would abruptly go from cold to less cold as if we increased the temp on the controller. This only happened like twice, so I couldn't pinpoint the issue.

Last Winter - while running the heater on hottest setting, the temperature would randomly decrease from hot to a warm on both sides. Adjusting the temp down using the buttons would make cooler air, but turning the temp back up would only yield warm air - could not get the hottest air back. I eventually noticed if we turn off the HVAC unit and turn back on (using the power button) I would get very hot air again for ~5 minutes until the issue would occur again. I tried performing the HVAC reset procedure and unplugged the blend door actuators several times, but this did not correct my issue. This happened all last winter - could easily replicate and was not intermittent. 

This Summer - AC has been running fine for months, however just this week the car was blowing heat from the passenger side and AC from the drivers side (seems to be a common issue). I performed the HVAC reset and it correct this issue. 

I'm not sure what direction I should take to correct this issue. The heat issue almost seems like a blend door problem, except for the fact that both sides mirror each other exactly - I cant imagine both doors have failed exactly the same. Could it be the HVAC control module?

Could it possibly be a partially clogged heater core? Seem too new to have this problem and I've never had a clogged core cause intermittent issues like this. 

I searched the forum and read most of the threads related to HVAC issues. The only thread that sounded exactly like what I am dealing with was caused by a faulty heater/temperature control valve. But it was an ecoboost engine. My car does not have one of those valves. I hate just throwing parts at an issue like this. Any input on how to proceed?

Thanks

Edited by Spahrman5

Search on calibrating the dual cliimate module.  I believe it was a 2012 Limited that the fix was applied to.

(Ford can also reprogram it if the DIY method does not fix.)

Or you can actually replace the blend door actuator on the miscreant side.

A coolant flush never hurts :) tho it likely will not resolve this specific issue.  If the driver side had been hot/passenger cold, I would have said to check refrigerant level.  Just had this happen on my 07 a month and a half ago.

On 8/12/2020 at 12:27 PM, WWWPerfA_ZN0W said:

Search on calibrating the dual cliimate module.  I believe it was a 2012 Limited that the fix was applied to.

(Ford can also reprogram it if the DIY method does not fix.)

Or you can actually replace the blend door actuator on the miscreant side.

A coolant flush never hurts :) tho it likely will not resolve this specific issue.  If the driver side had been hot/passenger cold, I would have said to check refrigerant level.  Just had this happen on my 07 a month and a half ago.

Hey thanks for the input. 

I've tried the module reset procedure (using the HVAC power/defrost buttons) several times and had it run through the actuator calibration procedure. I also reset the module and ran diagnostic test via Forscan several times. No DTCs, tests were SAT each time.

I moved on to more low-tech diagnostics. Last night I turned the heat, manual/dual zone mode.

Both side set to HI - blows fire from both sides.

Reduce both sides to 85 (one degree) - Both get noticeably cooler. 

I take the setting down by a degree each adjustment with almost no perceptible change. Its either Very Hot (on HI setting) or warm (any setting 85 or below). I have almost no adjustment in heat temperature. This is the issue my wife has in the winter. "Warm" feels like no heat in 35 degree weather.Running the setting back up yields no increase in heat until I hit HI - then it is blowing fire.

Now I stuck my head under the drivers side to view the blend door actuator and removed the glove box to view the passenger side.

Divers side only moved two positions: Full open (when setting was HI) or full closed (as soon as I reduced input to anything below HI). I had no gradient.

Passenger side moved 3 positions - Full open (when setting was HI), to the middle (immediately when input reduced  below HI), and full closed when I got to a setting or around 80. Very notchy movement. No fine adjustment of temperature.

I popped the linkage arms off and manipulated the door manually - no binding, moves freely. I can get full temperature range on both sides.

I reconnected and initiated the module calibration procedure again and viewed both sides sweeping to open and closed stops properly. 

I performed the visual inspection of movements again:

Drivers side still has only 2 positions no matter the temperature setting - full open or full closed.

Passenger side gained fine adjustment - The actuator would move slightly after each 2 degree increment from 79 to HI - 4 total positions now (this appears to be how it should work)

I definitely think the blend door is bad on the drivers side. The passenger side seems to only work properly intermittently. Seems unlikely that both wold fail simultaneously, however the passenger side may always have been this way and wasn't noticeable until the drivers side failed. 

I'm going to replace both this weekend to see if this fixes the issue. I'm not 100% sure, but it will still be cheaper than a diagnostic fee at the dealer. I'll update this thread with the results.

Edited by Spahrman5

My HVAC is fixed.BOTH blend door actuators were bad. Don' t be like me an assume that this can't possibly be the case. In reality, I bet the passenger side was failed for quite a while, but went unnoticed. Then the drivers side failed last winter.

The new actuators move slightly for each degree that the digital HVAC controller is adjusted - lots of fine adjustment. Any less movement and you have a problem. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I'm back. Both new blend door actuators are experiencing the same issue once again. To make a long story short - I got another front control interface module (FCIM) from another 14 ford edge and swapped it in. Didn't change a thing. I checked all fuses under the hood and inside the car. Lastly, I pulled the electronic automatic temperature control (EATC) module and visually inspected everything. I guess I could throw some more money at it an grab another used one to check, but I don't know.

Here is what is happening - Both blend doors work properly immediately after I disconnect and reconnect the battery. Everything will continue to work properly until the point that I turn on the engine and turn it back off. Strange thing is, I can cycle the ignition on and off as much as I want and they will continue to work fine after a battery reset. However, as soon as the engine is started, they will only work for the period that the engine is running. Once I turn it off, that's it. I can only get them working again if I disconnect/reconnect the battery. 

Any last ideas before I end up taking it somewhere?

Thanks

Have you tried recalibrating the HVAC module again?  Are there any codes stored for the HVAC system?  You will need a reader that can scan the MS-CAN bus.

Could be a bad ground or a bad HVAC module. Or something else entirely.

2014 Edge DATC Blend Door Actuator Inoperative or Does Not Operate Correctly.pdf

Yes I have tried recalibrating the HVAC module again. Doing so by using the buttons on the FCIM (power + defrost) provides no resolution. I also can reset the FCIM module and run diagnostics using Forscan application attached to the system via HS/MS-CAN bus wired connection. No resolution this way and the diagnostic test says everything is satisfactory.

No diagnostics codes have been set in the system this entire time - checked via Forscan (canbus connected), engineering mode in the car, and the torque app on my phone.

The only thing that changes anything temporarily, is if I pull the battery cable.

The EATC module is located above the cabin fuse panel. I believe this is the only other module that would affect the blend doors. I just cant understand why no codes are logged if the doors aren't moving when I am commanding them to. Even if I unplug the actuators and run the system - no codes???

• Like 1