winter tires for limited

fbc1967

i have the limited with the 20inch tires. can not find 245 50 20 winter tires. has anyone gone with 18 inch and winter rims instead? if so what size are you running and did you have to worry about the brakes fitting in the smaller rims. love the looks of the 20's but hate the quality of them and the fact I just spent 4 hours on the net looking for winter tires that match the size.

i have the limited with the 20inch tires. can not find 245 50 20 winter tires. has anyone gone with 18 inch and winter rims instead? if so what size are you running and did you have to worry about the brakes fitting in the smaller rims. love the looks of the 20's but hate the quality of them and the fact I just spent 4 hours on the net looking for winter tires that match the size.

Hi fbc1967. :D Yes, an 18" wheel/tire package will easily fit the Edge.

You can even go to a 17" package, but personally I would stick with the 18" package. The Tire Rack has a nice package with the Bridgestone Blizzak, which is a very highly rated winter tire.

In the 18" size, they also list the Bridgestone Winter Dueler and the Pirelli Scorpion Ice and Snow.

While there are 20" snow tires available in the proper size for the MKX/Edge, they are way beyond the performance level (and therefore also the price level) of anything you would ever need to install on an MKX/Edge (my personal opinion, of course).

Good luck. :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530

TireRack has these winter Bridgestone Blizzak LM-25 in the 245/50-20

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?ti...inSpeedRating=T

post-4790-1222298406_thumb.gif

I took delivery of our '08 MKX Limited Monochrome late October last year and shortly after I put on winter tires. I decided to go with 18" since it was not worth the extra $ for the 20" - particularly for winter tires. I put on P235/65R18 Toyo GO2 Open Country with dedicated aluminum rims. I decided not to go with the TPS sensors - this is a bit of a pain since you need to do a reset to get rid of the message. The tires were great through last winter and there was no problem with fit and the brakes.

I put Pirelli Scorpion Ice & Snow - 255/55R18 XL on TSW Nogaro 18" x 8 on my car. Fits perfectly and is ok from the size... you can also even go with 235/65R17 on 17" x 8" rims... got it from 1010tires.com...

good luck!!

The TPMS adds a new twist to the having a separate set of wheels and tires. The last set we got from Tire Rack, but they want $400 to add the TPMS. We have the factory 17 inch wheels on our Edge. I went to Ebay and got a set of stock take off wheels with the bands and mounting clips for less then Tire Rack wanted for wheels alone. Ebay also has the TPMS sensors. You can buy a set sensors for less than $100. Costco has the Michelin Latitude X-Ice for $15 more then Tire Rack, but you don't pay shipping so it a wash on price.

Are you ever going to need use cable chains? The owner manual only recommends using them on the 17 inch wheels. In the last 20 years I have had to put chains on twice to get out of the parking lot after it snowed. Hope I never have to use them but want to be prepared.

• 6 months later...
I took delivery of our '08 MKX Limited Monochrome late October last year and shortly after I put on winter tires. I decided to go with 18" since it was not worth the extra $ for the 20" - particularly for winter tires. I put on P235/65R18 Toyo GO2 Open Country with dedicated aluminum rims. I decided not to go with the TPS sensors - this is a bit of a pain since you need to do a reset to get rid of the message. The tires were great through last winter and there was no problem with fit and the brakes.

Where did you get the winter tires/rims?