SYNC2 UPDATE v 3.08 to v 3.10 FAILURE

MyFordTouch SYNC2 – UPDATE FAILS – BAD INSTALLATION FILES – A SOLUTION

With reference to a 2016 Edge diesel

All though I became aware of the SYNC2 version upgrade (to 3.10) from the Norwegian Ford Support site, I have seen comments and requests for help from other areas having experienced problems with this upgrade.  (So I assume that what I have experienced is not a Norwegian issue, but also a European issue.)

When you download the installation Zip file and extract it, you have 2 files and 1 directory (which contains all the installation information).  The only one file to be concerned about is the "autoinstall.lst" which tells the software what to do and in which order.  This file does not comply with the format that windows require in order to be executed (or read, for that matter).  It is missing what I would call a "hard coded CARRIAGE RETURN (CR)". To rectify this you need an editor other than "Notepad" which comes with Windows.

You can download a program named "Notepad ++" free from the internet.  Once installed on your computer open it and then open the "autoinstall.lst".  In the editing window you will see that behind each line there is a "LF" (Line Feed).  Navigate to Edit on the menu bar and click on it.  In the expanded menu, search downwards and find "EOL Conversions", then click on it and you will find 3 submenus;

Convert to Windows-format

Convert to Unix-format

Convert to MAC-format

The "Convert to Unix-format" is greyed out, indicating this is the current format.

Highlight "Convert to Windows-format" and click on it.  You will see that the lines in the editing window now have changed their appearance.  All lines end now with "CR LF".

Save the file on top of the old "autoinstall.lst" and you are ready to start the installation.

A few more comments; my local Ford dealer said to use Xfat format on the USB stick.  Ford however is describing FAT/FAT32 format, which I used.  The update lasted at least 40 minutes, so keep the engine running to make sure you have the power needed.  The installation  process will shut off and restart the display several times (3-4-5 times, I don't remember).  When the installation is done, leave the USB stick in place as a verification file will be written to it.  This is just a string of text in the ".xml" format which you have to upload to Ford on the same site you downloaded the update.

This was not a straight forward procedure as the upload was not active so I had to download the update once again before Ford was ready to receive.  Once online with Ford you have to navigate to where the XML file is stored and click on it.  Then you just wait for a confirmation that it has been received.  I am not sure if it was a coincident or not but the first time I did this, it was past midnight and the upload failed.  So to play it safe, do this at descent local hour.

I wish you all the best and good luck with the update.

Notepad++ 01.jpg

Notepad++ 02.jpg

Notepad++ 03.jpg

Error message 01.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

• 3 months later...
  • 10 months later...