HIDs shutting off after a few seconds?

Hey guys,

This is my first post and already I'm having a bit of a problem. I'm installing an HID kit into my 07 Edge, and the bulbs turn on for a few seconds then shut off. If I turn the headlight switch off and then back on they turn on for another few seconds and then off. It looks like either the truck is seeing that there isn't a bulb there, or maybe too much draw, and is cutting off the power. It's only a 35W kit and it sounds like there are quite a few people running kits directly from their factory wiring without a problem. If I wire in resistors will that trick the vehicle into leaving the lights on?

Thanks!

Vortec,

Where did you get your kit? Can you take a pic of the actual ballast for me? Digital is the way to go.. there are several reasons why your HIDs might be malfunctioning. Lex is correct.. Digital kits are really what you should be using.

It'll be great if you can take pics of your entire HID setup so we can see if there are any obvious faults in your system.. We are here to help!

Let us know!

do they flicker at all before shutting off?

you should have a relay wired in and connected to the battery incase it needs extra power. for ex. HID ballasts require a little more power to ignite the bulbs first, then they drop to 35W. so that might be a problem..

Hey guys,

This is my first post and already I'm having a bit of a problem. I'm installing an HID kit into my 07 Edge, and the bulbs turn on for a few seconds then shut off. If I turn the headlight switch off and then back on they turn on for another few seconds and then off. It looks like either the truck is seeing that there isn't a bulb there, or maybe too much draw, and is cutting off the power. It's only a 35W kit and it sounds like there are quite a few people running kits directly from their factory wiring without a problem. If I wire in resistors will that trick the vehicle into leaving the lights on?

Thanks!

Another possibility may be a bad ballast.

yes, many of us using HID with success..

I hope you use a digital kit? that seems to be pretty well established need for the Edge (you can search HID threads as to exactly why).

whom did you get it from? I would not think resistors would play a roll in this issue.

Exactly. I have two digital kits in my '08 (Low and high beam).

• 4 months later...

Sorry it's taken me so long to reply, I finally got them to replace them with a brand new kit that has been working perfectly. I got them on sale for $49 (4500K) for the set and they're great.

Here is the link to the kit that I got:

http://www.ddmtuning.com/products/Apexcone...Kit-200-85.html

They originally sent me these instead, which are the ones that didn't work properly and shut off:

http://www.ddmtuning.com/products/DDM_35W_...Kit-101-85.html

Something about the slim ballast didn't agree with the computer in the Edge and caused problems. Regardless, the full size ballasts are perfect and they work great!