Towing over max rating for short distance?

We have a 2020 Edge ST-Line with factory tow package. We are looking to rent a small travel trailer and go camping for the weekend. Looking at renting one, doesn't leave us a lot of options. We found one that is 3,400 lbs dry weight, so with cargo for the weekend, we will be over the 3,500 lbs limit. The camp site is 15 miles from the house and no highway. It would also be in the fall in Michigan with cooler temps. 

Would the Edge be able to do this?

Thanks,

Brandon

I'd say you should have an enjoyable weekend appreciating Michigan's great fall colors.

It would be useful for you to know the travel trailer's tongue weight to ensure your not overloading the rear axle, and to be aware of the trailer's brake system requirements for hookup to your Edge, but 15 miles of two-lane road shouldn't present any challenge to your tow package-equipped Edge.

I've made many incident-free runs with 4,000 lbs of boat/surge-braked single axle trailer behind our 4,300 lbs of tow package equipped 2012 MKX, from NW Ohio on I-75 through Detroit's sweeping curves at interstate speed, up to St Clair Shores with the MKX's trailer sway control activated.

It's worth noting that frontal area effects pulling a V-fronted boat are certainly less at speed than when pulling a slab-fronted travel trailer.

If you eventually buy a travel trailer and are running close to the Edge's 3,500 lb rating, then a weight distributing hitch should be part of your RV investment, along with adding a auxiliary transmission fluid cooler to your Edge.

Good luck!

Thanks for the info Haz.

I will have some highway driving when I pick it up and get it to the house, but it will be unloaded and the Edge will be unloaded. So we will be under the weight limit. St. Clair Shores is a very nice area, been there many times. We live in Muskegon and camping at Muskegon State Park, so we need to drive around Muskegon Lake to get there. 

If/when we buy a travel trailer, we would get something under 3,000 lbs, guessing around 2,700 lbs so we can load it and be under the 3,500 lbs weight rating. 

This is new territory for me, so doing my research and learning what I can. Many years ago I pulled some trailers for work, but that was with a work truck, so weight wasn't a problem. 

Brandon