Poor Quality Control

I just purchased a brand new fully loaded 2008 MKX. I would love to talk to quality control at the factory. I would be embarrassed to let a vehicle like mine leave the factory. I will post about the poor paint job in the proper forum. I am here to tell you about the poor quality control for the interior. Upon receipt of the vehicle the dealer noticed a blemish on the dash. The dealer told me they would fix it for me. It was a spot roughly 1/8" high, 3-4" long, by 1/8" wide. It was an extra piece of dash that was from not being molded properly. They fixed it by making it worse. I now have a spot roughly 3" square on the dash. The spot is shiny, off colored, flat and not textured like the rest of the dash. This is in plain view and very easy to see. I asked the dealer to replace the dash and they said it's not under warranty. Mind you this vehicle is 1 week old. I escalated this to Ford and they said they would investigate. Well, they called the dealer and they told me they can't do anything. I called Ford corporate offices and they pretty much said the same thing. They are having a field service rep. look at it next month. I was told that this doesn't affect the mechanics of the vehicle and they probably won't do anything. If this is not replaced I will NEVER buy another Ford or Lincoln. NEVER. I own a 2008 BMW 328I and couldn't be happier. I was going to buy a Lexus or a BMW X5 and decided to "Buy American". Well, you get what you ask for. I got yet another "American Made" poor quality vehicle. I can't believe that a company facing bankruptcy would try to protect their image. It's quite obvious they don't care. They are losing thousands if not millions of customers due to poor quality and poor customer relations. It seems that they have lost yet another.

You're everywhere, aren't you?

As I told you at Edmunds, this is the dealer's fault - there is no reason for Ford to deny a warranty claim on such a defect unless it was done by the dealer. Same for the swirls and scratches in the paint. Try another dealer - I bet Ford will replace the dash and any good detailer should be able to buff out the swirl marks.

I got the vehicle on a dealer trade. I was told by my dealer they would fix the issues. No I didn't get it in writing. Yes I'm an idiot for believing them. I just thought that when you spend the kind of money I did on this vehicle the issues would be taken care of. I am used to dealing with BMW. One simple phone call to the dealership and they are at my house picking up the vehicle and fixing the problems no questions asked. You live and learn. I learned not to buy American made vehicles any longer. It's a shame too. My in laws work for General Motors. I get employee pricing from them. My wifes grandparents retired from Ford. I get employee pricing from them also. I can't complain about the price and the financing. 0 pct. for 72 months, but I would have gladly paid a little more for the peace of mind of owning a quality made vehicle. I will just have to wait 3 years and trade this in for something foreign. What a shame. I'm done ranting now...

I got the vehicle on a dealer trade. I was told by my dealer they would fix the issues. No I didn't get it in writing. Yes I'm an idiot for believing them. I just thought that when you spend the kind of money I did on this vehicle the issues would be taken care of. I am used to dealing with BMW. One simple phone call to the dealership and they are at my house picking up the vehicle and fixing the problems no questions asked. You live and learn. I learned not to buy American made vehicles any longer. It's a shame too. My in laws work for General Motors. I get employee pricing from them. My wifes grandparents retired from Ford. I get employee pricing from them also. I can't complain about the price and the financing. 0 pct. for 72 months, but I would have gladly paid a little more for the peace of mind of owning a quality made vehicle. I will just have to wait 3 years and trade this in for something foreign. What a shame. I'm done ranting now...

Hi stordi. :D In addition to the good advice akirby offered, you should know this (actually, everyone should know this): Among the various booklet s and paperwork you received when you purchased your MKX, is your "Warranty Guide".

In that Warranty Guide Ford lists in detail the procedures to follow if you are not happy with the vehicle and/or the service you receive from the Dealership.

Once you are handed the booklet, the Dealer will not remind you of its existence. You need to perform a bit of self-help. Find the Warranty Guide booklet and read it. Pay special attention to the Warranty rights sections. You will find addresses and contacts at Ford Customer Service (as you stated, you may have already spoke to them).

The next step is already in place, as a Ford Field Service Rep is scheduled to look at your vehicle. If after the Field Service Rep looks at your vehicle, you are still not satisfied, then the next step is to follow the procedures to file a grievance with the BBB (Better Business Bureau) Auto Line Arbitration Program.

The instructions are spelled out in detail in the Warranty Guide. For better or worse, it is up to us as buyers to read the literature we are given and follow the procedures already set in place. Unfortunately, you may have a bad Dealer. As akirby already mentioned, it can happen whether you buy a Ford, a Toyota or a BMW.

Good luck. :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530

Thanks for the info. I'm just extremely frustrated because I am too trustworthy. I have read the booklet and have been through this with the explorer I turned in. I said I would never buy another Ford after the experience I had with that. I thought Lincoln would be different. Anyone wanna buy a new MKX? Under 1000 miles and I will sell it for less than I paid!!!???!!!

Thanks for the info. I'm just extremely frustrated because I am too trustworthy. I have read the booklet and have been through this with the explorer I turned in. I said I would never buy another Ford after the experience I had with that. I thought Lincoln would be different. Anyone wanna buy a new MKX? Under 1000 miles and I will sell it for less than I paid!!!???!!!

Hi stordi. :D Well, it is completely up to you of course, but why not let the Field Service Rep look, make a determination as to what Ford will do, then make a final decision. All of this worrying and hand-wringing may be for nothing if the dash is repaired or replaced.

Whatever you decide to do, good luck. :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530