Upgrade fans for 2014 Ford Edge 3.5L?

I own a 2014 Ford Edge 3.5L without towing package.

I installed a hitch and now I wish I had the Towing Package to officially raise the towing capacity to 3500 lbs.

Is it easy to swap the cooling fan for the towing version?  If not, is there an aftermarket fan that performs better than the stock one?

Can I swap out my radiator for a Tow Package radiator without modifications?

I shared info on this subject in this prior post, and will add more on my experience, here, now that the work is done.

Our 2015 MKX cooling system upgrade was done using dealer-sourced Motorcraft radiator ($213) & cooling fans ($328) to gain the 2-year parts and labor warranty on those components, and I supplied an add-on transmission fluid cooler ($54)1/2" ID transmission cooler hose ($40/8 ft), and cooler mounts ($5).

Installation labor for all that and a wiring upgrade for the higher-amp cooling fans was 7 hours ($700).

Because the 26,000 miles MKX was new-to-me, and I want to maximize the life of its original internal water pump, I also had them flush and refill with new engine coolant.

Including a few minor parts (hose clamps, connector, fuse), but not including sales tax, the total bill was just over $1,300.

I was fortunate that a prior owner paid to have the Motorcraft hitch bar ($210)and trailer wiring kit ($92) installed by his dealership (labor cost unknown), and all this demonstrates the bargain that a factory-installed Tow Package ($510 in 2015) represents.

Good luck!

Edited by Haz
  • Like 2