Vista Roof Accordian Seal

tsf2674

I know this topic has been covered before but none of the answers on this forum or other Ford forums actually answered my question.  I have a 2013 Ford Edge SEL...I just got it used and the first time I tried to use it the accordian seal piece came off/loose as the sun roof went back.  Totally off.  I have read all of the other posts on this and I really don't care how much it costs, how to fix it, etc etc. I don't care if it dampens outside noice...nothing.

The only thing I care about is ---------- Does this accordian plastic piece ACTUALLY DO ANYTHING for keeping water out?  I don't care if I never get to use the sunroof.  I just don't want water coming in.  So can anyone speak as to what these pieces actually do...and if I totally take them off...will the roof still be water tight?

Many thanks!

I think the purpose of this part is to apply upward pressure on the glass when closing and closed. They're described under the primary seal section of the service manual.  They're described as "concertina blinds". 

P/N: FT4Z-78500A66 for the passenger side,  FT4Z-78500A67 for the drivers side. Price is around $95 + shipping & tax. (This p/n covers Ford Edge/Lincoln MKX, for 2007-2014).

I DON'T think they are responsible for keeping water out. (That's the job of the  rubber seal that runs around the top between glass and frame).

The procedure to change is;

1. Open the roof opening panel to the VENT position.

2. Detach to top of the concertina blind from the moving glass frame.

3. Open the roof opening panel to the OPEN position. 

4. Detach the bottom of the concertina blind from guide track in the most forward position. 

5. To install, reverse the removal procedure. (Return to living room, tell wife "phew, that was really a job". Have her get you a beer and see if there's a NFL pre-season game on).

• Like 1