Power loss and Power Steering Loss

magnum3672

So,

I was driving this morning and there was about 2 miles of stop and go traffic before I was going into work. Car seemed fine, idled low sometimes (like a downsurge) but the AC was on and I attribute that to the AC compressor kicking on. When I went to turn into my office I suddenly lost power steering and the engine cut out. Maintenance has been fine on this car, it recently had a bunch of work done to the emissions equipment and a full fluid work up. Doesn't appear that any codes were thrown which is the extra odd part.

This is the first time this has happened. Car has 130,000-ish miles on it but hasn't had any major issues until now. It is an SEL trim.

Any help you guys can give me would be great. I can turn a wrench on some of the easier stuff so if there's an inexpensive part that won't take me long to swap I'd like to try that first before taking it to a mechanic to chase ghosts.

Thanks

39 minutes ago, magnum3672 said:

One, I didn't see a check engine light and 2 I plugged my OBD2 reader in and didn't see anything.

A code can be stored without the CEL being on - that was the case on my Sport.

I had a hesitation a few times after filling up, and my OBDII device showed no codes, then later I bought an OBDLink MX+ and with that you get free Ford specific downloads, and it showed an evap code, so I'd suggest that you take it to Autozone and see if they can find a code, or consider a new OBDII scanner.

Amazon.com: OBDLink MX+ OBD2 Bluetooth Scanner for iPhone, Android, and Windows : Automotive

• Enhanced OEM support for Ford, GM, Mazda, Nissan/Infinity, Toyota/Lexus/Scion, Honda, Hyundai, Kia
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I went to an auto supplier and got my codes read. The only 2 that popped up was an ABS issue (but no light on and I just had the brakes done less than a year ago) and a charging system issue (again, just had alternator and battery replaced less than a year ago).

I haven't had any issues since the initial one other than the flex joint on my exhaust detaching from the rear section of the exhaust so now it sounds like a hot rod until I fix that.