TMPS sensor light on - random rattling coming from tire

Michelle92648

Hello, newbie here. 
Since I purchased a used 2011 Ford Edge SEL the tire pressure sensor fault has been on. The pressure is perfect on all 4 tires, with good tread. This random noise, which sounds like a metal wringer inside the tire ? It does not make the noise on freeway, and some days for like 3 minutes, then nothing, after researching - seems like the sensor broke off inside the front tire. Should I buy a new tire ? Will the broken sensor damage the tire inside causing a blow out or flat ? and can I drive it and just ingnore the warning light? 
I took it to my local Ford dealer before I figured out the cause, they said bad engine mounts, and wanted like $1600 when the car was only $9K and the wrong diagnosis. RIP off alert !! It won’t make the noise if you test drove it, anyways. So random when it does, usually when you first drive it after being parked. Any advice ? 

• 4 weeks later...

Probably the strap holding the sensor to the hub broke (I had this happen). Allows the sensor to slap against the inside of the wheel.

With me, the tire balance was of periodically and a thumping sound came and went.

This was a NAPA branded strap the dealer installed, as Motorcraft out of stock. (Replacement wheel, had to replace strap but used original sensor). 

I'd recommend you ONLY consider Motorcraft as a replacement. 

Edited by enigma-2
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...