Confused... Heating System Warm Up Time

FoutsNC

Hello all,

I purchased an Edge Limited a few weeks ago and I am really loving it so far. Before the Edge, I had an 08 Taurus that I traded in. Love the car, but needed something bigger as I went from an Excursion to the Taurus. Anyways, since I purchased the Taurus (with the 3.5L) I have been scratching my head trying to figure something out. It doesn't get too cold here, but we have had some ~30 degree nights lately. I go out to my cold car that's been sitting for 8 hours and start it up. By the time I am out of the parking lot, there is warm air coming from the vents? Now, don't get me wrong, this IS NOT a problem. From my prior experiences, the heating system worked off the coolant in the heater core and took 5-10 minutes to heat up. What's the difference? I love the idea that it warms up this fast, but just can't figure out why. I had a friend ride up to the store with it last night and the guy was as confused as I have been about it. Since the Taurus did the same thing, it must be a feature/change in the new Ford products... Anyone know what it is?

Thanks!

Fouts

Edited by FoutsNC

Hello all,

I purchased an Edge Limited a few weeks ago and I am really loving it so far. Before the Edge, I had an 08 Taurus that I traded in. Love the car, but needed something bigger as I went from an Excursion to the Taurus. Anyways, since I purchased the Taurus (with the 3.5L) I have been scratching my head trying to figure something out. It doesn't get too cold here, but we have had some ~30 degree nights lately. I go out to my cold car that's been sitting for 8 hours and start it up. By the time I am out of the parking lot, there is warm air coming from the vents? Now, don't get me wrong, this IS NOT a problem. From my prior experiences, the heating system worked off the coolant in the heater core and took 5-10 minutes to heat up. What's the difference? I love the idea that it warms up this fast, but just can't figure out why. I had a friend ride up to the store with it last night and the guy was as confused as I have been about it. Since the Taurus did the same thing, it must be a feature/change in the new Ford products... Anyone know what it is?

Thanks!

Fouts

Hi Fouts. :D It is simply a case of the Climate Control System being improved to make the driver and passenger more comfortable. The HVAC system has been optimized in an attempt to bring heat to the passenger compartment in a faster and more efficient manner.

It is also a byproduct of automakers successful attempts to engineer their engines and engine management systems to reach normal operating temperatures as quickly as possible. by reaching normal operating temperature quickly, the catalytic converters warm up quiker, and the car will therefore emit less harmful pollutants. Thus the car can also get a better EPA rating.

Good luck. :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530