Hi Beams Fuse (F39 15amp) Blows When Trailering

2014 Edge SEL

Hi-Beams Fuse (F39 15amp) Blows When Trailering

I can use my hi beams to my heart's desire as much as I want without fail... but as soon as I plug in any 4 pin trailer harness and try to use my high beams, BAM! If blows the high beams fuse #f39.

It makes no sense to me since there's nothing common that they share. I don't have high beam wires in the back or attached in any way to my trailer. The trailer lights work 100%. I'm so confused and have no idea where to start troubleshooting this problem. So far I've gone through 10 fuses!!

- I've redone the trailer harness wires twice.

- I've replaced the headlight bulbs.

I have no idea where to go next.

Anything other than scratching my head raw is better! Thank you for the suggestion! I'm still guessing it must have something to do with the trailer wire harness, just can't quite figure out how or why! I've redone that connection twice. The last time with solder and shrink wraps.

My buddy said it's always the ground. No matter the electrical gremlin, it's a grounding issue! lol! What one??!

18 minutes ago, enigma-2 said:

OEM headlights, or ☠ aftermarket?

Good question. The problem first showed up with OEM... blew a fuse, then shortly after a bulb went south, so I swapped out the pair with OEM replacements. I'm about to put in LEDs, not because of the high beam issue but because I find the OEMs dim after driving my wife's Tourag.