hands free liftgate

As informational references toward your researching component costs and connector/circuitry availability & requirements, the following are PDF links to related sections from the 2020 Edge Workshop Manual (since you did not mention model year) and connector/component location diagram images.

It appears the added Hands Free Liftgate Actuation module with the Upper & Lower sensors deliver an "open sesame" message to the Body Control Module, which then triggers the liftgate to open, similar to using the dash or cargo area switches.

Module programming may also be required, perhaps using Forscan, but I am not certain.

I am unsure if your local dealership can get authorization to add hands free liftgate actuation, just in case you are not a do-it-yourself owner.

It would likely be much more costly to add than the factory-installed option pricing.

Good luck!

Hands Free Liftgate Actuation Components Description and Location Diagram - 2020 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Hands-Free Liftgate Actuation Module Removal and Installation - 2020 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Hands-Free Liftgate Actuation Upper Sensor Removal and Installation - 2020 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Hands-Free Liftgate Actuation Lower Sensor Removal and Installation - 2020 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Hands Free Liftgate Wiring Diagram - 2020 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Connector C4401 Wiring Legend Hands Free Liftgate Actuation Module - 2020 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Connector C438 Wiring Legend - 2020 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Connector C2280D Body Control Module Wiring Legend.pdf

Hands Free Liftgate Actuation Module Connector C4401 Location - 2020 Edge Workshop Manual.jpg

Body Control Module Connector Location - 2020 Edge Workshop Manual.jpg

Hands Free Liftgate Actuation Module Connector C438 Location 1 - 2020 Edge Workshop Manual.jpg

Hands Free Liftgate Actuation Module Connector C438 Location 2 - 2020 Edge Workshop Manual.jpg

Edited by Haz
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

On 4/22/2022 at 6:10 PM, Haz said:

I am unsure if your local dealership can get authorization to add hands free liftgate actuation, just in case you are not a do-it-yourself owner.

The Ford - dealer agreement prohibits it. The agreement is specific as to what the dealer's can and can't do.

Excellent post btw. I'd imagine several modules would need programming. And the cost would choke a horse.

Edited by enigma-2
  • Like 1

Thanks for the info.  I just picked up a 2022 Ford Edge SEL this morning (my 5th).  I ordered the vehicle and never realized that Ford took the foot activated lift gate out of the Convenience package, which incidentally went from $835.00 in 2009 to $1295.00 in 2022.  My dealer didn’t pick this up either and I am not happy with them.   I make a decent amount of deliveries in foul weather and foot activated lift gate was super useful for me.  I would pay Ford to add it if that were an option.  In the meantime it really tarnished the experience of picking up my new vehicle.

Looks like the foot activated liftgate was not available on the SEL. 

Based on the information Haz supplied,  a good starting point would be to check to see if the connectors are available at the back of the car. (Did they use a single harness or specific harnesses for model/package)? Then add the sensor strips, module and energize via Forscan on the BCM. No one has done it so you would be the pioneer.