No brake lights and can't shift out of park

This is an intermittent but increasingly frequent fault on my 2009 V6 Edge.

When I press on the brake pedal the brake lights do not illuminate and therefore I can't shift out of park. I'm immobilized. 

I replaced the brake light switch above the brake pedal and it worked for an hour or so. Now it's not working. I.e. no change. The fault still comes and goes for no known reason. 

Can someone point me to a wiring diagram for the brake light circuit? Maybe there's a shaky ground connection somewhere? I need to solve this immediately.

8 hours ago, Haz said:

Good luck!

Thanks so much for the details. My ForScanLite app gives me code C1446: Brake Switch Circuit Failure Open or Shorted to Ground.

I think that means that the GEM (aka Smart Junction Box) is OK, which means I have a good chance of finding the problem. 

• Like 1

Solved. The aftermarket brake switch has a pair of black tabs which rotate 45 degrees. In one position the switch operates correctly for the Edge. Pins 1 and 4 are normally open and pins 2 and 3 are normally closed. In the other position pins 1 and 4 are not connected and pins 2 and 3 are normally open. When you install this switch in the slot and then rotate it 100 degrees or so, the switch changes to the incorrect mode! If you rotate it back 80 degrees all is well.  

FWIW the debug steps I1 and I2 both resulted in Yes, indicating a defective switch. However the real problem was a dual-mode part. 

Picture shows the black tabs in the correct position.

Thanks again, @Haz. 

RenderedImage.jpg

Edited by myf16
  • Like 2