Steering Wheel Controls Not Working - 2011 Edge SEL

FALSE

Hello, 
I've got a 2011 Ford Edge SEL that wouldn't start. It would do the typical ticking noise indicating the battery was dead so I pulled the battery and charged it. Took the battery to Autozone who tested it and confirmed it was dead. Not unexpected since the battery was 6 years old or so.

Bought a new battery, installed it and the vehicle fired right up.

Problem is NONE of the controls on the steering wheel work now. 

We just have the basic radio so the steering wheel controls are just for controlling the dash display and the radio. 

Began troubleshooting the issue and pulled fuse 23 from the interior fuse box but that fuse proved good. 

AFTER I pulled and replaced the fuse, I'm now getting an error saying there's a fault in the Smarttrac system, which I believe was a random electrical glitch but I can't clear the error due to the fact I can't control the dash display.

My research tells me this issue might be caused by the clock spring but that seems terribly coincidental for that to fail at the exact same time as the battery. 

I'm at the limit of my troubleshooting ability. 

Does anyone have any ideas on what else I should look at before taking it to a mechanic?

Thanks in advance!

6 hours ago, Will2U said:

Did you reset the BMS after installing the new battery?  Failing to do so will cause all sorts of electrical weirdness. 

I did not, have a link with instructions?

EDIT - So I found some instructions to press the rear fog lights 5 times and then the emergency light button 5 times. Unfortunately this Edge doesn't have fog lights.

But I also read if the car sits for 8 hours it resets itself and it's definitely done that several times since I replaced the battery.

Edited by FALSE

From the 2011 Edge Workshop Manual...

Steering Wheel Controls [Message Center & Entertainment context description]

The steering wheel controls are mounted directly to the steering wheel and wired to the Steering Column Control Module (SCCM) . Depending on what features the vehicle is equipped with, the SCCM sends messages via the High Speed Controller Area Network (HS-CAN) to the PCM (cruise control) and the Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC) (message center and entertainment system). The IPC receives the SCCM entertainment system messages via the HS-CAN and then sends them to the applicable entertainment system module(s) along the Infotainment Controller Area Network (I-CAN) .

Steering Wheel Controls [Audio context description]

The steering wheel controls consist of a series of resistors. Each steering wheel control switch function corresponds with a specific resistance value within the switch. When a switch is pressed, the Steering Column Control Module (SCCM) monitors the change in reference voltage to determine the requested function. The SCCM communicates the switch inputs in a message to the IPC over the HS-CAN . The IPC gateways the message to the ACM and other audio modules over the I-CAN .

For Edge base and premium audio systems without SYNC®, the FCDIM serves as the infotainment display. The 5-way RH steering wheel switch controls and navigates the menus in the FCDIM .

Steering Wheel Controls wiring diagram

1300163722_SteeringWheelSwitchRHWiringDiagram-WithoutSYNC-2011EdgeWorkshopManual.thumb.jpg.1608fe6b77f279889379e3ef230d6474.jpg

Steering Column Control Module (SCCM) Wiring Diagram

506770170_SteeringColumnControlModuleWiringDiagram-2011EdgeWorkshopManual.thumb.jpg.c289cdacb455918b249c6119f33efffa.jpg

886051924_BodyControlModule-Illustration-2011EdgeWorkshopManual.thumb.jpg.34a85e4caa73afe4375d38468fb9ab96.jpg

1039669683_BodyControlModule-FuseCircuitDetails-2011EdgeWorkshopManual.thumb.jpg.7629610deff8c349d09694ad89f5013b.jpg

Per the SCCM wiring diagram and the BCM fuse/circuits chart, fuse F24 is associated with the SCCM, so take a look at the condition of F24 in the same way you did F23.

Do you have access to a scanner or a laptop with Forscan, or a phone with Forscan Lite, and an OBDII-compatible Data Link connector, in order to check your Edge for Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) that may identify current or past issues caused by the failing/failed battery?

A scanner or Forscan-equivalent device could also be used to evaluate the functioning of the steering wheel switches in real-time.

Good luck!

Edited by Haz
  • Like 1

Relating to installation of a new battery and the Battery Monitoring System (BMS), from the 2011 Edge Workshop Manual...

• Carry out the Battery Monitoring System (BMS) Reset using the scan tool after the battery is connected. If the BMS Reset is not carried out, it takes approximately 8 hours for the Body Control Module (BCM) to learn the new battery state of charge. During this 8 hour period, the vehicle must be undisturbed, with no doors opened or keyless entry button presses. If the vehicle is used before the BCM is allowed to learn the new battery state of charge, engine off load shedding can still occur and a message may be displayed.

Good luck!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Haz said:

Per the SCCM wiring diagram and the BCM fuse/circuits chart, fuse F24 is associated with the SCCM, so take a look at the condition of F24 in the same way you did F23.

Do you have access to a scanner or a laptop with Forscan, or a phone with Forscan Lite, and an OBDII-compatible Data Link connector, in order to check your Edge for Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) that may identify current or past issues caused by the failing/failed battery?

A scanner or Forscan-equivalent device could also be used to evaluate the functioning of the steering wheel switches in real-time.

Good luck!

Guess I'm going to invest in a bluetooth OBDII reader and Forscan. Will update once I have it

• Like 2