Chains for 245/50 R20 and tire recommendations

morningguy2000

Hi, 

I have a 2018 Ford edge with 245/50 R20 tires.  I will be traveling to the snow this winter, and want to get all weather tires.  I will also need to put on chains should they be manditory, this sometimes happens in the Tahoe region.  The manual says not to put chains on R20 tires, but does reference R18 tires are OK for chains.  Called the dealer and they suggested NOT going to an R18 tire, since it messes up a number of systems etc.

I am looking for a good all weather tire for winter travel, AND most importantly a recommendation for low profile chains that someone has used.  

Thank you

According to TireSize.com, moving from factory 245/50/R20 tires/rims to factory 245/60/R18 tires/rims will not 'mess up a number of systems'.

They are essentially equivalent in all dimensions except sidewall, with the R18 providing another inch of sidewall height, which is likely why Ford okays R18 chains, because the extra inch avoids the chains contacting the rim...

1067805891_TireSize_com-245-50-R20comparedto245-60-R18.thumb.jpg.964e28dfc85b77f63a531c0ebd95a030.jpg

In defense of the dealer rep's comments, some moves in tire/rim size do impose speedometer error which they may be restricted from correcting.

I swapped the factory R18s from our 2012 MKX with factory R22s from our new-to-us 2015 MKX, which necessitated using Forscan to alter As Built data values in the Body  Control Module (BCM) and the Antilock Braking System (ABS) Module -- not difficult to accomplish with a laptop, a short-term no-cost Forscan license, and an OBDII data port adapter.

I'll leave the tire & chain recommendations to other Forum members.

Good luck!