Underbody panels

thebigf

Hi all.  I bought a 2014 SEL 3.5 company car a couple of years back.  When I was investigating doing a front undertray to aid aerodynamics recently, I noticed two screw locations on each side where the wheel well liner attaches, just aft of the front air dam.  I see two air deflector bits in the parts listings.  I'm thinking the servicing dealer removed but didn't replace them.  Would someone know what is supposed to be there, the two air deflectors, and especially if it should have a lower engine cover like most vehicles have these days.  I do 2000 mile trips often and would like to get whatever extra mileage from having these parts would provide or ones I have to build myself.  Factory bits preferred.  Smooth underbody desired.

Thanks.

• 3 months later...

I decided to make my own since I'd like to do a center section to improve what Ford did, and to add a rear section as well.  The progress so far - front trial fit and the nearly complete front section.  I test drove the trial fit.  It seems more stable and quieter at all speeds and gave a (albiet short-term) mileage improvement of .5 to 1 litre/100 km.  A long-term mileage test required to prove it however.  I can't see that a full tray would be detrimental to any of those conditions so I'm going on to the center pieces soon.  I drive across Canada 2 or 4 times a year so any improvement is welcome.

20230214_141719.jpg

20230218_170713.jpg

• Like 4

Just now, enigma-2 said:

?Looks great.

Wonder what a "mechanic" will think when he goes to do an oil change? Hack, hack, hack. There. Now I have access. (Sigh).

Really does look good however. What material did you use?

The round holes, how with covers installed, are below the oil filter and drain locations.  I do all my own work so it shouldn't get abused by someone else.  I used 1/8" plastic sheeting, so called 'puck board'.  It's used to line the boards in hockey areas.  Strong and light.  The plan is to attach two more panels, one either side of the exhaust space from the trailing edges of the front tray around the front wheel openings to the sills then rearward to at least the muffler area.

Edited by thebigf
  • Like 2

"Puckboard, sometimes called arena board or hockey board, is a versatile, adaptive plastic material. Made of sturdy HDPE (High Density PolyEthylene), puckboard is tough resilient, and can take a beating without cracking or breaking even in freezing temperature. This product is extremely impact resistant and resistant to a long list of chemicals. Also performs well in cold weather environments."

• Like 2

I read that it has a class B rating on Gasoline and class A for certain oils and class C for other oils. For the class A oils, butter, castor oil,  corn oil. For the class C oils, linseed & mineral oils. It seem exceptionally susceptible to cleaning solvents and certain acids. Petroleum oils were not listed as being tested. Class A for road salt. 

Class B - Resistant no indication that serviceability would be impaired. Variable resistance, depending on conditions of use.

Class C - Unresistant, not recommended for service applications under any conditions.

I'd say it was s good choice overall. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...