Bumper wire harness?

bfeagle

Hi everyone,

I just installed a Curt Hitch this weekend and noticed a wire harness with an empty connector hanging from just behind the bumper. Would this be for trailer lights? It's perfectly located to do that job. It just needs an adapter to plug into it. Is this harness a red herring? The only info I can find about trailer light kits show needing to pull a part the cargo area to tap into the rear lights.

Bruce

My 2008 SEL also has a connector like yours in the back perfectly placed just to the driver's side of center. There was no power to that connector and I even tried adding fuses and modules to the fuse block under the hood...no go. I asked your same question under "....Hauling" and got no response. I went ahead and used a harness from eTrailer that connects into the rear lights...not hard to do!

Chuck

• 2 weeks later...
What would you pull with an edge? I can't think of anything I would pull with my wifes edge.

But I drive a f-350 diesel and pull what ever I want too.

See the attached photo.. :) I pull my small trailer with quads. I also uploaded a picture of said mystery harness that should be for trailer lights.

Bruce

post-5542-1232937038_thumb.jpg

post-5542-1232937047_thumb.jpg

I have been unable to confirm what the harness is for. I'll ask next time I'm at the dealer for service. I used an after market harness for my trailer lights. It probably is for the optional reverse sensing system. Great guess.

well.. do yo have the reverse sensing system or not?

if you do, we know that harness is not for that, if you do not, we more likely know that harness you show IS for that reverse sensing system.

• 3 months later...
then I would say KCFlyer nailed it

I do have the reverse sensing option and no factory installed hitch. I also have the connector. Has anyone figured out what it is used for yet?

I've actually discovered a Ford wiring harness that is supposed to be 'plug and play'. The part is described as "2009 Ford Edge Trailer Hitch Wiring Harness". The PN is: 7T4Z-15A416-B-E09. I'm going to track one down in the morning and see what it looks like.

By the way, I just got rid of a 2005 Passat 4-Motion wagon. With the exception of the heated seats that the VW had (and I don't have in the Edge) the Edge beats the VW hands-down.

Edited by DD 430

• 3 weeks later...

John, Thanks for the reply. Yes, Ford does offer an OEM package that includes the harness. It essentially is setup like the after market harnesses in that they're both wired back to the battery. I was looking for an easier way to get power to the hitch harness. I did spy a connector (empty) in the area of the spare tire and I was hoping that I could tie into it - that it was installed in order to tie the hitch in to. I found that it was for the installation of the Sirius sat. radio. I ended up tieing the wiring back into the accessory port which is located on the driver's side rear in the cargo area.

John, Thanks for the reply. Yes, Ford does offer an OEM package that includes the harness. It essentially is setup like the after market harnesses in that they're both wired back to the battery. I was looking for an easier way to get power to the hitch harness. I did spy a connector (empty) in the area of the spare tire and I was hoping that I could tie into it - that it was installed in order to tie the hitch in to. I found that it was for the installation of the Sirius sat. radio. I ended up tieing the wiring back into the accessory port which is located on the driver's side rear in the cargo area.

Hi Edgies. This is my first post. I have a 2008 edge sel w/o factory rear sensor or hitch.

If I got the aftermarket rear sensing license plate does anyone know if I could power it from the license plate lights. We all know it's a hatch back so it would be a pain to try to route the wires up and then down to the tail lights. If I did this one wrong tell me - I can post it better next time. thx. DBADean

Hi Edgies. This is my first post. I have a 2008 edge sel w/o factory rear sensor or hitch.

If I got the aftermarket rear sensing license plate does anyone know if I could power it from the license plate lights. We all know it's a hatch back so it would be a pain to try to route the wires up and then down to the tail lights. If I did this one wrong tell me - I can post it better next time. thx. DBADean

I'm not sure where the sensor is wired as an OEM piece but, as I did with the hitch wiring, you could probably wire it back to the accessory port on the LH rear panel. It's a good 12V source.