2018 Ford Edge Limp Mode

chrisp882003

Just got the turbo in my 2018 replaced was getting the p0299 code for under boost. Had the turbo replaced the code has went away but now I keep getting the see manual light (orange wrench) and the edge will not come out of limp mode. Mechanic check for leaks there nothing. He and I both are confused and have no idea what to do next. There are currently no codes. Manual light comes on and goes away randomly but always in limp mode someone help please. 

If you are describing limp mode in terms of reduced engine throttle response and speed limiting in the neighborhood of 30 mph, the 2018 Edge Workshop describes Limp Home mode this way...

Acceleration Control

The acceleration controls consist of the accelerator pedal and sensor assembly.

The throttle is controlled by an APP sensor on the accelerator pedal assembly. The APP sensor sends a signal to the PCM in response to throttle pedal movements initiated by the driver.

The PCM sends a signal to the electronic throttle control which increases and decreases throttle position.

The engine management system electronically operates the throttle of the engine in response to throttle pedal movements initiated by the driver. In the event of a system failure, the engine management system provides a "limp home" mode which allows the car to be driven with limited performance.

While the Workshop Manual is not explicit, I expect the context of the described "system failure" is within the Electronic Throttle Control system, consisting of Accelerator Pedal Position (APP) sensor, the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) and the Electronic Throttle Control (ETC) that is integral to the Throttle Body, as depicted in this wiring diagram...

1462352507_ELECTRONICTHROTTLECONTROLSystem-WiringDiagram-2018Edge.thumb.jpg.a7986880ee3827a8dceebe4b34da5f4e.jpg

The Workshop Manual describes Electronic Throttle Control system-fault notifications and effects...

image.thumb.png.98b6b42d57bda17b967d0b3befe93518.png

image.thumb.png.9d300851863a7ee856e144cecdd693b9.png

image.thumb.png.0655b3994cbcb6e7264625739673dfce.png

So, absent any Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) providing guidance, one cross-check for you could be to determine if the cruise control system is presently disabled or is disabled when the wrench light is lit.

The Edge Workshop Manual refers diagnostic and testing interests to the Ford Powertrain Control Emissions Diagnosis (PC/ED) Manual, which bins the Limp Home effects under Lack/Loss of Power, and provides Pinpoint Test DK to evaluate Electronic Throttle Control system circuits and components.

I have compiled relevant sections from the Edge Workshop Manual and the Ford PC/ED Manual which may provide fuller understanding and useful guidance if your mechanic believes Pinpoint Test DK could be a fruitful course of action.

Forum limitations on maximum attachment size prevent me from providing document download links to the document collection here.

I will provide you an external download link to the document collection via the Forum messaging system.

Good luck!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1