Engine Coolant Replacement

oskar27

I had issues with the 2 local Ford dealers so I decided to service my 2016 Edge Titanium 2.0L at a local reputable service shop. On the maintenance the user's guide calls to change the engine coolant at 6 years and that is what I will do next week.

Is this a big job?

Do I have to use any specific coolant type?

Thanks

Yes, it takes a specific coolant. It calls for Motorcraft Orange, however Motorcraft no longer produces it.

So you can find many Dexcool aftermarket coolants that meet the Ford specification, WSS-M97B44-D2 (look for that on the bottle), or you can use the new Ford Yellow which is approved for use with that same specification. Remember that after the initial fill is drained and replaced, the coolant life is now 5 years, 100,000 what your owners manual says, probably 3 years, 50,000 miles, and not the 200,000 that the Yellow extended life is. They can be mixed or a flush done, either way.

https://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubricants.com/quickref/FCSD Motorcraft Yellow Antifreeze-Coolant Backward Compatability.pdf

Edited by dabangsta
wrong life
  • Thanks 1