08 Edge - engine light issue

phoneguy55

Had engine light come on after a below zero night. Car ran fine,... brought it in to dealer next day to check codes. "timing issue" of some sort.....dealer wanted me to drop it off again in a few days and leave it for a while so they could run extended tests. 5 days now and still no resolution. Since they provide a loaner, I am in no rush...and want them to take whatever time they need to resolve it. I will update situation when I get more info. Mechanic thinks timing is changing for some reason, but the computer is retiming it continually so it isn't suffering loss of performance, but it shouldn't have to be doing it all the time. ( hence the engine light ).

???...film at eleven!

(next day)....

Got a call from dealer....major work needs to be done...parts are ordered and car should be ready early next week. This was decided after hearing back from Ford Engineering on a solution. No explanation of just what is being replaced ( yet), but an update will follow.

Edited by phoneguy55

• 2 months later...

Well what was the outcome? What did they replace?

Had engine light come on after a below zero night. Car ran fine,... brought it in to dealer next day to check codes. "timing issue" of some sort.....dealer wanted me to drop it off again in a few days and leave it for a while so they could run extended tests. 5 days now and still no resolution. Since they provide a loaner, I am in no rush...and want them to take whatever time they need to resolve it. I will update situation when I get more info. Mechanic thinks timing is changing for some reason, but the computer is retiming it continually so it isn't suffering loss of performance, but it shouldn't have to be doing it all the time. ( hence the engine light ).

???...film at eleven!

(next day)....

Got a call from dealer....major work needs to be done...parts are ordered and car should be ready early next week. This was decided after hearing back from Ford Engineering on a solution. No explanation of just what is being replaced ( yet), but an update will follow.

• 3 weeks later...
Well what was the outcome? What did they replace?

The dealer had the car for about a month. They had to order some solenoid that is inside the engine. First the wrong side was ordered, ..then after a week or so I was informed that the right part came in, but needed to be installed. Then the engine had to be re assembled. It was all covered under warranty so when I picked it up they just said it was all set. ( no details were shared with me as to what exactly was replaced. ) I have been driving it for a month and it seems fine. Even took an 800 mile round trip drive and all is well.

The dealer had the car for about a month. They had to order some solenoid that is inside the engine. First the wrong side was ordered, ..then after a week or so I was informed that the right part came in, but needed to be installed. Then the engine had to be re assembled. It was all covered under warranty so when I picked it up they just said it was all set. ( no details were shared with me as to what exactly was replaced. ) I have been driving it for a month and it seems fine. Even took an 800 mile round trip drive and all is well.

Did they give you any paper work? I would want paper work for my records.