Resonator Removal

I recently purchased a 2008 Edge SEL in September of 2008 and have read multiple posts on exhaust upgrades and customization. I have been hesitant to fully customize (Cat system) for various reasons, but mainly expense and sound quality. I spoke to a local muffler technician and he recommended I remove the resonator and see how that sounds. Well for $25 I figured why not? I must say the results are VERY pleasing. At immediate start up the tone sounded extremely similar to a Infiniti FX35 (Not 45, that would be impossible), I know because my neighbor has one. There is not much difference at idle unless you get close but the interior sound is I must say nice. NOT ricey, Not muscular but just a nice tone.

If you are looking for a little more tone and don't want the expense of a CAT system or are just unsure have the resonator cut off. I think you will be pleasantly surprise. I am!

very interesting...

can you take any photos of this under the car? so, do they torch it off and repipe?

can you make a sound clip and post it - say with a cell phone or something?

also.. what about inside the car noise.. did it go up becuase you did this?

interesting read seems like for $25, you either got a deal... or a hack job :)

Edited by Lex Talionis

very interesting...

can you take any photos of this under the car? so, do they torch it off and repipe?

can you make a sound clip and post it - say with a cell phone or something?

also.. what about inside the car noise.. did it go up becuase you did this?

interesting read seems like for $25, you either got a deal... or a hack job :)

Under car photos may be a bit difficult but will try, but I can certainly do a video, will post this afternoon. All he did was torch it off and repipe, did a good job and very clean. Inside the car I can tell a difference, mainly at acceleration not so much at idle unless the windows are down. No irritating resonance however, just a little more throaty!

Did it add any horsepower or torque. be a little more specific on sound like a small block chevy with headers or a S10 blazer with no mufflers just curious because i have an electric sawz all and nothing but time.

I wish I can say it did add horsepower and / or torque but honestly I can not tell. I believe this is going to be a sound modification only! The best description I can give is like in my original post. It very much sounds like an Infinit FX35 (Not 45). My next door neighbor has one and is extremely similar, especially at 2-4k rmp and start up. Not much noticeable difference at idle unless the engine is cold.

• 6 months later...
Under car photos may be a bit difficult but will try, but I can certainly do a video, will post this afternoon. All he did was torch it off and repipe, did a good job and very clean. Inside the car I can tell a difference, mainly at acceleration not so much at idle unless the windows are down. No irritating resonance however, just a little more throaty!

I removed mine myself. $8 of new 2 1/4" pipe from Pep Boys and welded the new pipe in place. Removing the resonator will not improve power or torque as the Resonator is straight through anyway (like a glass pack muffler). It doesn't provide any restriction.

Sound is a litter louder, especially around 1,800 rpm. You can hear the exhaust noise a little more in the cabin. Note a bad tone. Next is replacing the stock mufflers.

• 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

unless youre just looking for a throatier tone, and dont want to spend a few hundred bucks... Id like better tone, and could care less about a few HP. Its an SUV, Ive got a sportscar to go fast in.

Ill save this one for the 2011.

Most people dont have both and wouldn't mind the extra hp and mpg.

You don't need a sports car to go fast. My last car was a luxury sedan that could outperform most "sports cars".

If you want a raspier sound with a potential loss in hp just go ahead and remove the resonator. You'll sound just like every other beater in your neighborhood with a corroded exhaust system.

I never understood why people buy nice things and then turn them into the biggest POS with ridiculous mods.

That's just my opinion of course. (Throw in the obvious "opinions are like aholes" comment) In the end it's your car and you have to drive it.

BTW it's a crossover and not an SUV.

If you don't know about fast SUV's maybe you can take a look at a Jeep SRT8 or Cayenne Turbo.

Fast crossover? You can start with the 390hp FX50.

Anything can go fast. All you have to do is step out of the box.

Edited by MOFSTEEL