sync2 to sync3 upgrade

I just got a new 2012 ford edge limited a few months ago and the Sync system has gone out. After attempting to reset by pulling the associated fuse, I think the APIM needs to be replaced. Is it worth it to upgrade from the Sync 2 system to the Sync 3 if I don't care about the Apple or Android Auto features, or navigation? I only care about restoring functionality for the heated seats and bluetooth phone connection for audio. If the audio and climate features all worked without the screen, I wouldn't even bother to replace it. 

If the vehicle already has the 8" screen for the sync 2 system, will I still need a replacement screen to upgrade to the sync 3 system?

If you don't care about Android Auto or Apple CarPlay, then probably not worth all the additional changes required to update to SYNC 3. Yes, the screen needs changed to update to SYNC 3 (among quite a few other things).

While I love SYNC 3 and Android Auto/Apple CarPlay because I like using the maps from the phone, the streaming music options, and messaging, I also have an older vehicle (2012 Fusion) that has SYNC 1 and I just use Bluetooth for audio on it and my phone in a holder in front of the radio controls, and it works pretty good. When looking for a vehicle and ended up with the 2019 Edge, SYNC 3 (or 4 if I could swing a newer car, I couldn't) was a requirement. I would have entertained a SYNC 2 equipped vehicle but I would have done the DIY gathering of parts and SYNC 3 update. Navigation with up to date maps, current crowd sourced details like traffic, accidents, and debris in the road, I always use navigation even if I have been there a million times, to get ETA, road conditions, need to detour, etc.

• Like 1