Oil Light Turning on intermittently.

csheff405

Quick background for the vehicle:

Ford Edge limited with 216k miles. 

The event started a few days ago. I was driving the vehicle and when stopped or driving up/down a large hill the oil light would turn on (Solid light, not blinking/flashing). Whenever it was moving or leveled out the light would turn off.

I have checked the oil level and there seems to be plenty of oil about 3/4 of the way to max level. This only happened one day, and I have not seen/noticed it come back on since. The worrying part for me is the fact that I have started noticing a smell while driving.

It smells like something is burning, but there is no white/black smoke that I can notice coming from the vehicle. my drive in the vehicle totals around 8-10 miles round trip per day.

I have done some searching and, while many people seem to have had issues generally similar to this, I have not come across any post regarding a single drive occurrence and the burning smell. Because of the burning smell I do not suspect the sensor, but may be the pump?

Any input that could help me understand what the issue may be, would be greatly appreciated.

TL:DR it could easily be the oil pressure sender which is pretty cheap and easy to replace in the 3.5, but replace it because it might be something more sinister.

My 2012 Fusion Sport has the 3.5, and I ran into a similar situation. My oil pressure light would come on at a very specific intersection only. I also noticed a small oil leak (I removed the under engine pan or cover or splash shield) and noticed drops on the ground. I just let the light come on and the small oil leak until I drove it very aggressively (stop light, Focus ST in the lane next to me, that lane ends in 1/8 of a mile, and people wait until the very end to merge and it gets ugly, so I don't give them the chance). My minor oil leak became a large one, and my oil light would come on if the engine was under 1400 RPM. I had the pressure sender but was waiting for an oil change, so...it forced my hand. I swapped the oil pressure sender and both the oil leak was gone, and the light no longer comes on at weird but understandable times.