Need help with inop heated seats and dcsm location

I have a 2013 Edge Limited (very early build date of 4/12). A few weeks ago, my wife said both front seats stopped getting warm. When the icons are tapped they light up, but no heat to either seat (Only fronts are heated. No cooling seats in this car). I checked for blown fuses. All good. I scanned for codes with Forscan. No codes of any kind. I then poured though countless diagnostic searches and about the only thing I've found is the issue of the burned connector to the DCSM module, which seems to fit my symptoms. 

Proceed to unbolt and look for the module under both seats...... Not there. I've seen plenty of posts about it being under the passenger seat and a couple saying under the drivers seat, but none of those were a 2013 model. Anybody know where the hide the DCSM on a 2013?

Welcome to the Forum, Rededge !

You were unsuccessful finding a DCSM on your front seat heat-only 2013 Edge Limited because the Dual Climate Seat Module (DCSM) is only installed on vehicles equipped with heated-and-cooled (dual climate) seats.

So, there's no DCSM hidden on your vehicle, though on vehicles with dual climate seats, the DCSM is mounted under the passenger seat.

From the 2013 Edge Workshop Manual...

Front Seats - Heated Seats

WARNING: Never install heated seat parts not intended for use on this vehicle. Parts released for other model years or vehicle lines are not compatible even if they appear visually and physically similar. Installing incorrect parts will result in heated seat system performance outside design specification. Failure to follow this instruction may result in serious personal injury.

This system allows independent seat electrical heating of each front seat on demand.

The components of the system are:

• seat heater mats located on the seat cushion and backrest.
  • the HVAC module
  • heated seat buttons, located on the touchscreen interface (if equipped) or the Front Controls Interface Module (FCIM) .
  • temperature sensors, located in the seat cushion heater mats.

A new heater mat comes assembled on a new foam pad.

The driver and passenger heated seat control buttons and indicators are located on the Front Controls Interface Module (FCIM) or touchscreen interface (if equipped). The heated seat system functions independently of the vehicle's climate control system. Each time the heated seat button is pressed, the FCIM sends the request message to the HVAC module which decreases one setting (the sequence is hi, low, OFF, hi, etc.). For vehicles without a touchscreen interface, when a heated seat is set to hi, both LED indicators above that heated seat's control button illuminate. When a heated seat is set to low, only one LED indicator above that switch illuminates. When off, no indicators illuminate.

When activated, the HVAC module supplies voltage to the selected seat's heater circuit. Each seat's cushion heater mat and backrest heater mat is connected in a series circuit to the HVAC module and powered by the output circuit for that seat. The HVAC module monitors inputs from a temperature sensor located in each seat's cushion heater mat, and maintains seat temperature by cycling the heater circuits on/off. The heated seat remains ON until the heated seat switch button is pressed to cycle the HVAC module OFF or the ignition is set to OFF.

If a fault is detected by the HVAC module, the module stops supplying voltage to that individual left or right seat that the fault was detected on until the ignition is turned OFF and then ON.

image.png.ebd8a88a9cc932e1358131e45d4603a3.png

image.png.ed263723cf455abc47a8a062d72e4f80.png

image.png.b0b00354705ee0ce509799b674e4e1b2.png

Diagnostic document download links>

Heated Seat Is Inoperative - Driver & Passenger Diagnostic Pinpoint Tests ''N'' & ''O'' - 2013 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Heated Seats - Wiring Diagram Cell 119 - 2013 Edge.pdf

Supplemental Restraint System (SRS) Depowering and Repowering - General Procedures - 2013 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

HEATED SEAT ELEMENT, RIGHT FRONT - Connector 3284 Details - 2013 Edge.pdf

HEATED SEAT ELEMENT, LEFT FRONT - Connector 3283 Details - 2013 Edge.pdf

HEATED SEAT ELEMENT, LEFT FRONT - Connector 3283 Location - 2013 Edge.pdf

HVAC MODULE, DATC - Connector 228A Details - 2013 Edge.pdf

HVAC MODULE, DATC - Connector 228B Details - 2013 Edge.pdf

Driver Seat Side Air Bag - Inline Connector C328 Details - 2013 Edge.pdf

Driver Seat Side Air Bag - Inline Connector C328 Location - 2013 Edge.pdf

HVAC MODULE, DATC - Connector 228A Details - 2013 Edge.pdf

HVAC MODULE, DATC - Connector 228B Details - 2013 Edge.pdf

Driver Seat Side Air Bag - Inline Connector C328 Details - 2013 Edge.pdf

Driver Seat Side Air Bag - Inline Connector C328 Location - 2013 Edge.pdf

Passenger Seat Side Air Bag - Inline Connector C327 Details - 2013 Edge.pdf

Passenger Seat Side Air Bag - Inline Connector C327 Location - 2013 Edge.pdf

Body Control Module (BCM) - Removal and Installation - 2013 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Body Control Module (BCM) - R & I Enhanced Image #1 - 2013 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Body Control Module (BCM) - R & I Enhanced Image #2 - 2013 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Heating Ventilation Air Conditioning (HVAC) Module - Removal and Installation - 2013 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Heating Ventilation Air Conditioning (HVAC) Module - R & I Enhanced Image #1 - 2013 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Heating Ventilation Air Conditioning (HVAC) Module - R & I Enhanced Image #2 - 2013 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Heating Ventilation Air Conditioning (HVAC) Module - R & I Enhanced Image #3 - 2013 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Additional diagnostic documents will be provided in my next post...

• Like 1

Per Rededge98290's request...

"It looks like the simplest cause to both seats not heating would be the failure of ground G302. Would you be able to share the location of that? 

If that's not the issue, then I'll dig into the step by step pinpoints"

Document download links>

Heated Seats - Ground G302 Location - Right Hand B-Pillar - 2013 Edge.pdf

B-Pillar Trim Panel - Removal and Installation - 2013 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Scuff Plate Trim Panel, Front - Removal and Installation - 2013 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Scuff Plate Trim Panel, Rear - Removal and Installation - 2013 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Good luck!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Update: I went through as much of the diagnostic as I could. Of course, it started with selecting heated seats while you observe the PID on a scan tool. I couldn't figure out how to do this with Forscan. Guessing it's noy possible. If it is, I'd love for someone to enlighten me.

Wire checks all passed. Buttoned it up, thinking I would need a new FICM. Went for a drive and tried the heated seats on more time. Only this time i selected medium instead of high. Pretty quickly my bottom side got warm. 

Thought about it for a while. I replaced the Climate Control panel in early fall with a used one because the original was randomly causing the radio to skip through the input modes. The replacement cured that. But thinking back we remember only high and low setting for the seats. We know have 3 heat levels (or lighted dots).

I used Forscan to select the icon that had only 2 positions (lights), but the seats would not heat. Switched it back to Heated seats (the choices i have for icons are cooled only, heated and cooled and heated seats) and it works on medium but not high. Same if i put the heated and cooled icons on the screen.

I can only conclude there is some difference between our original panel and the replacement that I can't account for. Going to called this mostly fixed.

Thank you very much for the documentation HAZ

• Thanks 1