Unlocking Nav features when moving

this was a rather heated topic a bit back between those crying the safety issue and those of us feeling we are adult enough to handle the overwhelming task ;) of the using the nav while moving.

In just the last 2 weeks I have found the exact need to change an address or find business name while moving and as we know... NO DICE

As you point out, seems this device is geared towards the 2009 as that is a 2009 nav system they show and they say "NOTE: IF YOU HAVE A SYNC SYSTEM THAT IS NOT HARD DRIVE BASED, WE HAVE A SOLUTION FOR YOU TOO!!" - which would be the 2007/2008's

So I, for one, will be very curious to see what comes of your email. Please post up what you find when they email you and their price for a 2008/2007 device. I wouldn't pay that much for the ability to use the nav on the fly, but it also seems like this thing can do more than just that - i.e., add a backup camera option or run a DVD player in the nav window kind of like the video box I added months ago. THAT might make it worth the price of admission as theirs seems to unlock ability to do nav changes on the fly while mine just allows backup camera interface and video sources in similar price range.

Well, Here is the the E-Mail I recieved from them, We will have to wait and see when it comes out:

Lenny

We will have an universal lockpick available in about a month and this will be for your vehicle. I would check back in about a month.

--

Please let me know if I may assist you further.

Brett

Coastal Electronics

Support@coastalEtech.com

www.CoastalEtech.com

1-800-507-2234

this was a rather heated topic a bit back between those crying the safety issue and those of us feeling we are adult enough to handle the overwhelming task ;) of the using the nav while moving.

In just the last 2 weeks I have found the exact need to change an address or find business name while moving and as we know... NO DICE

As you point out, seems this device is geared towards the 2009 as that is a 2009 nav system they show and they say "NOTE: IF YOU HAVE A SYNC SYSTEM THAT IS NOT HARD DRIVE BASED, WE HAVE A SOLUTION FOR YOU TOO!!" - which would be the 2007/2008's

So I, for one, will be very curious to see what comes of your email. Please post up what you find when they email you and their price for a 2008/2007 device. I wouldn't pay that much for the ability to use the nav on the fly, but it also seems like this thing can do more than just that - i.e., add a backup camera option or run a DVD player in the nav window kind of like the video box I added months ago. THAT might make it worth the price of admission as theirs seems to unlock ability to do nav changes on the fly while mine just allows backup camera interface and video sources in similar price range.

Edited by blockisle9

well.. having been through this before when it came to adding a camera to our factory nav system, I can tell you, there was/is no 'simple' plug and play option to interface with our Pioneer units. Read more here. It looks like the 2009 are easier to work with, so their website makes it seem. So, I will be curious to see what they come up with for interface and 'plug n play' given they are totally different head units.

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This also worked for me. My only pet peeve is that you have to set this feature every time you want to use the nav. But you can easily unlock it while your driving :)

These steps allow you to enter the development aspect of the unit. I noticed that you can change the color pallete and set the vehicle manufacturer (Ford / Lincoln/ Mazda / Mercury) I like the look of the Lincoln buttons, the have rounded corners.

Are there any developers out there who can clean up / improve the user interface?

My only pet peeve is that you have to set this feature every time you want to use the nav. But you can easily unlock it while your driving :)

having not tried it yet, so maybe it will become obvious what you mean, but what do you mean? "you have to set this feature every time you want to use the nav" sounds a bit of annoying and does it make other regular features we are use to hard to get at?? just not sure what your saying?

having not tried it yet, so maybe it will become obvious what you mean, but what do you mean? "you have to set this feature every time you want to use the nav" sounds a bit of annoying and does it make other regular features we are use to hard to get at?? just not sure what your saying?

To clarify,

Every time you want to use the "restricted" features of the nav, while moving, you have to unlock them first. It is annoying but the alternative to this is stopping the car. The 4/5 steps to unlock the Nav restrictions can be easily done from memory, while your driving. It doesn't alter or make any of the other features harder to get at. It just switches off the restrictions to setting Nav features while your driving.

My pet peeve is that you can not unlock the driving restrictions for good ( or at least no one has figured this out).

Hope this helps.

Edited by sjcristina

yep... I get it now as i tried it and it works :)

BUT, I did not find the way to "set the vehicle manufacturer (Ford / Lincoln/ Mazda / Mercury)" - I did see the "color palette" option, but not a way to do what you make it sound like should be easily done. I did not see a way to put in a manufacturer and change button designs.

Edited by Lex Talionis

yep... I get it now as i tried it and it works :)

BUT, I did not find the way to "set the vehicle manufacturer (Ford / Lincoln/ Mazda / Mercury)" - I did see the "color palette" option, but not a way to do what you make it sound like should be easily done. I did not see a way to put in a manufacturer and change button designs.

The option to change vehicle manufacturer is in the Developer sub menu, scroll to the very last selection when you enter the programming screen, I think the option to change manufacturer was the first choice in the Developer section. The only button / color changes I noticed is when I selected Lincoln. They went to the default Lincoln screens - Buttons were rounded on most screens and the color was a lighter version of our Nav screens. I wasn't able to save these changes and it changed back to the Ford default after I turned the car off and restarted. There may be a way to do this but I'm not sure.