A Cold Start Sharp Noise

d-dmusic

My Edge is practically brand spankin' new with only 2000 km on it.

Twice now, I've noticed a very sharp metallic snap only on a completely cold start, as if something engages badly, with a clank, and then it's gone. Once the car has run, the noise does not re-occur on any start-ups until another completely cold start.

Anyone have any ideas what this could be ?

Did you check your oil level ?

Yes, the oil level is fine, although, I noticed that the engine compartment in general, is more "oiley" than I would think would be normal (for a brand new car) with the hoses appearing to have a tiny bit of oiley residue on them.

It could be winter muck but hmm...something is leaking somewhere a tad.

Anyway, even if the oil level was down, that would not produce a such a sharp attack type sound. This is something else.

I have no oily residue anywhere in my engine compartment. It sounds like the crankcase vent tube may be loose or off. This tube takes the air from the valve covers and directs it back into the air induction. I deleted this on my mustang as it is strictly for emission purposes. Take the car in to your dealer and have everything inspected. You should never hear a "metallic snap" when starting an engine. If everything checks out at the dealer, I strongly suggest you switch to Mobil 1 0W-20 full synthetic oil. After I switched @15,000 miles, my MPG went up 1.2 mpg...according to the computer, so it actually pays for itself, not to mention much better protection on a "cold" start-up.

Edited by BlazedUp

I have no oily residue anywhere in my engine compartment. It sounds like the crankcase vent tube may be loose or off. This tube takes the air from the valve covers and directs it back into the air induction. I deleted this on my mustang as it is strictly for emission purposes. Take the car in to your dealer and have everything inspected. You should never hear a "metallic snap" when starting an engine. If everything checks out at the dealer, I strongly suggest you switch to Mobil 1 0W-20 full synthetic oil. After I switched @15,000 miles, my MPG went up 1.2 mpg...according to the computer, so it actually pays for itself, not to mention much better protection on a "cold" start-up.

The PCV tube is there for more than just emission's. There are many benifits from having it, and taking it off provides nothing.

As for the oily residue, The car is new and is it possible it is the dressing that dealership put on to make everything look shinny?

He should take the car in to the dealership to be looked at. There is no way we can diag it over the internet.

oh contrair duck.........Taking off provides less hot, less dense air from being sucked into the engine. This hot air is recycled into the motor being burned off producing less emissions. Dealers do not, and I repeat do not put a dressing on engine componets to make them "look new"........they are new ! I agree about taking the car to the dealer, but he was looking for info before doing so. PCV or positive crankcase ventilation is for emissions only.......anyone who tells you different is lying, or have no idea about the workings of an internal combustion engine. I was merely suggesting to check the obvious before taking it in for service. You say "there are many benefits from having it " please explain these "benefits" as I am always looking for new information to prove me wrong, I miss the days when valve covers just had vents to vent the hot un-usable air into the atmosphere.

oh contrair duck.........Taking off provides less hot, less dense air from being sucked into the engine. This hot air is recycled into the motor being burned off producing less emissions. Dealers do not, and I repeat do not put a dressing on engine componets to make them "look new"........they are new ! I agree about taking the car to the dealer, but he was looking for info before doing so. PCV or positive crankcase ventilation is for emissions only.......anyone who tells you different is lying, or have no idea about the workings of an internal combustion engine. I was merely suggesting to check the obvious before taking it in for service. You say "there are many benefits from having it " please explain these "benefits" as I am always looking for new information to prove me wrong, I miss the days when valve covers just had vents to vent the hot un-usable air into the atmosphere.

I will be happy to tell you that there is more purpose to the PCV system than emissions only - and I won't be lying. As you know, PCV stands for positive crankcase ventilation. The purpose of this crankcase ventilation system is to....sit down for this one...ventilate the crankcase. Surely you know all about blow-by and how this pressures up the crankcase, do you not? I'm afraid theres alot more going on down in your crankcase than just "hot un-usable air." So that is why the system exists. Perhaps what you were trying to indicate is that the MANNER IN WHICH the system exists (how it functions) is for emission purposes only? Because you would be right about that. The only reason the gases (or hot un-usable air as you call it) are recycled into the engine rather than vented to atmosphere is an emissions reason. So by your logic a system is designed to reduce emissions, when you could completely eliminate the system and have no pollution at all, so why have the PCV system in the first place? I too miss the days when these gases were just vented to atmosphere and nobody cared.

Other cons of the PCV system is not only the "hot un-usable air" that it recirculates in the engine, but also pulling oil into the intake and less combustion effeciency.

The system helps pull gases out of the crack case, not just letting them vent. This can actually help keep sludge from building up. If you are building an all out performance engine, then you would not want it. but for anything that you drive on the street, there is no reason to not have it.

Check and see if it only does it when the a/c is on. If it only does it when the a/c is on, then its the compressor engaging. Whats happening is that the compressor is low on the engine and all the oil in the a/c system drains to the compressor and when it engages, the oil is pushed out of the compressor back into the system.

So try it with out the a/c on and see if it stops.

Good luck

Check and see if it only does it when the a/c is on. If it only does it when the a/c is on, then its the compressor engaging. Whats happening is that the compressor is low on the engine and all the oil in the a/c system drains to the compressor and when it engages, the oil is pushed out of the compressor back into the system.

So try it with out the a/c on and see if it stops.

Good luck

You know, I was thinking that this may be related to the A/C. Only because my old Dodge Caravan, toward the end of it's days, would make a clunk like this during a cold start. The Dodge's A/C was long gone by this time though, but, it still made horrible noises during a cold start. A clunk, followed by whistling, followed by whining, then a bit of a settling down.

Should this problem on the Edge be looked at/corrrected ?