Nav in Los Angeles

Hey people..

First off, HELLO! I love my new edge.

Using the navigation in los angeles is very suspect. I have 6p (But yet 7p is on its way) and I have noticed the navigation is always taking me off the highways and using back roads. I live in Burbank, and I was driving to LAX. Realistically you would take the 134-101-405 OR something like the 5-10-405.. but the navigation is taking me through hollywood and all these side streets.

The settings have highways turned on, and nothing that seems like it would make it take side streets.. will 7p fix this? or am i just use to Garmin and Tom Tom and their realistic routes?

I have 7p down in San Diego and would say no, it will not fix your issues. I have noticed the same thing. I have go waaaaay around at times when there are more direct routes. I have my select preferences adjusted for the nav system (roads to take and avoid, fastest route, etc). I just think it is a so so nav in the scheme of things. better than nothing, but not the best available.

Two things to check.

First, make sure you are choosing the shortest time route and not the shortest distance route.

Second, go to settings and adjust the road speeds used for route calculations. Increase the highway speed and decrease the local street speed. This should result in more highway routings.

This is the main reason we still don’t go with the OEM :banghead: nav.

We do have a Magellan and have found it a LITTLE :rolleyes: better, than a friend’s OEM Honda.

We’ll continue to use Streets & Trips until the OEM’s and portables catch up.

One problem with S&T in spite of telling it to AVOID toll rds it still routes us on them, but by being able to add way points it’s a pretty easy work around.

ab

Two things to check.

First, make sure you are choosing the shortest time route and not the shortest distance route.

Second, go to settings and adjust the road speeds used for route calculations. Increase the highway speed and decrease the local street speed. This should result in more highway routings.

good tips.. but it would also skew the arrival ETA time data a bit as you have inflated your actual driving speed.. and at times, that might matter

true, but ill take that over driving silly routes.

Thanks for the tips

I find that actual average speed on local roads is quite a bit lower than the defaults in the nav unit. Once you figure in time spent waiting at lights, accelerating and slowing down, your actual average speed is a lot lower than the speed limits of the roads you drive. Some may be lucky to live in areas with better traffic flow, but for the rest of us, adjusting the local street speeds down should actually deliver better ETAs.

FWIW, we use TomTom & '07 Edge nav (I did not order $2100 nav/radio combo) - $300 for 9 spkr radio leaves $1800 for lots of Garmins, Magellans, TomToms. Reason we have on-board nav, BAMR & AWD involves long story of order (in Pewter) that never made it to dealer. :cry: Bought TomTom in anticipation :yahoo: of new car. Decided if we ordered another, it would be that fiery orange :extinguish: :yup: color. That being said, we use both navs & find a few, mostly minor, differences. I don't know as I'd recommend extra portable unit unless U want to use in another car. For foreseeable future, we humans are still "smarter" :hysterical: than machines, so ignore U'r nav's directions if U know a better way. It'll instantly recalculate & catch up with U. COSTCO sells TomTom on-line & has other brands in store. Last I checked on-line prices comparable to eBay, especially when on sale.

PS: A piece of 1/4" plate glass cut to size & shape & placed conveniently works better than windshield for mounting. Less heat, glare & distance to reach. Also no tattle-tale ring. post-5957-1240461849_thumb.jpg Park a ball cap on U'r headrest so when U leave car U can use hat to hide :shades: GPS & charging cord.

PS: We didn't order new car. Bought last '07 on lot for $7000 off sticker. As luck would have it, it's Blazing Copper. U know that fiery orange :extinguish: :yup: color.

Edited by dadrett