I am considering the following purchase:

2009 Ford Edge FWD Limited

Options include:

Cargo Accessory Package

All Weather Rubber Mats

20" wheels / Sport Suspension

Roof Rails

Quote is for $29451.00 (plus TT&L)

Any questions or concerns I should have?

Your feedback is greatly appreciated.

Sounds like a good deal.

I checked here, they are usually pretty close.

http://www.edmunds.com/new/2009/ford/edge/...s.html?action=2

BUT

I'm curious about the "Sport Suspension" :stop: on a 09 NON-Sport Edge ?? The only place I see it is here.

http://www.edmunds.com/new/2010/ford/edge/...p;x=85&y=15

64K 22" Bright Polished Aluminum Wheels w/P265/40R22 A/S BSW Tires

Includes 22" x 9.0" bright polished aluminum wheels, P265/40R22 all-season BSW tires and modified tuned suspension.

ab

I am considering the following purchase:

2009 Ford Edge FWD Limited

Options include:

Cargo Accessory Package

All Weather Rubber Mats

20" wheels / Sport Suspension

Roof Rails

Quote is for $29451.00 (plus TT&L)

Any questions or concerns I should have?

Your feedback is greatly appreciated.

Hi Steve. :D If you would like an accurate answer, we need more information. At the very least, we would need to know the MSRP (the bottom line price on the window sticker), how much you are receiving in Cash Incentives (Incentive amounts vary by Region/ZIP Code, so we have no idea what yours may be), what is your Loans APR Rate and duration (36, 48, 60 months)?

Preferably, (and if you would like precise advice): If you give us the VIN, along with the name and ZIP Code of the Dealership where the vehicle is currently located, we could give you exact pricing including the MSRP, Factory Invoice Price, available Incentives in your area etc.

You can find the VIN information by calling your Dealership or by going to LINK: Ford Direct and using the "Search Inventory" tool to find the correct Dealer, then the Window Sticker and VIN of the Edge you are interested in.

Anyone who gives you a definitive answer without further information is simply guessing, and that is of no more help to you than flipping a coin.

Post back with the added information.

Good luck. :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530

Thanks for your feedback. I know the following about the vehicle:

Total MSRP: $34430.00

My market area is Houston, TX. I am not sure what the incentive amount is or the VIN. Waiting on more info from the sales person.

Regarding the sport suspension, that is what is on the invoice. I have no additional information about it.

Thanks for your feedback. I know the following about the vehicle:

Total MSRP: $34430.00

My market area is Houston, TX. I am not sure what the incentive amount is or the VIN. Waiting on more info from the sales person.

Regarding the sport suspension, that is what is on the invoice. I have no additional information about it.

Hi Steve. :D I hope you understand that i am trying to help, not bust your chops. If you are purchasing a vehicle, you really need to know more information. Without knowing how much of that price is Incentive Cash, we can not give any type of accurate answer.

Incentive Cash comes from Ford. If you do not know how much Incentive Cash you are receiving from Ford, you actually have no idea how much you are paying the Dealer for the car. If you do not know the Incentive and other price information we are asking for, you are not shopping for a vehicle in the correct manner. You are at the mercy of the Salesman.

What is the name and ZIP Code of the Dealership where the Edge is currently located? With that information, the color of the interior and exterior and the vehicle information you already gave in your first post, I may be able to find the Edge and get the VIN for you (along with all the pricing information).

Essentially it comes down to this, if you carefully read and provide the information being asked for, we can give you very precise advice. Otherwise, you may as well ask us to flip a coin for an answer as to whether you got a good price or not.

Please post back with the information needed.

I have some additional information. The dealer I am working with is Russell and Smith Ford in Houston. Their zip code is 77025.

I live in Katy, TX 77494.

The dealership where the car is located is Sour Lake Ford in Sour Lake TX, 77659.

My dealer intends on having the car transferred to Russell and Smith Ford. From what I understand the regional incentives includes $3000 incentive cash and 0% interest up to 60 months.

The VIN is 2FMDK39C59BA93339.

I greatly appreciate your input. I have always bought used cars in the past. I don't want to be taken advantage of by the dealers due to my ignorance.

Regards,

Steve

I have some additional information. The dealer I am working with is Russell and Smith Ford in Houston. Their zip code is 77025.

I live in Katy, TX 77494.

The dealership where the car is located is Sour Lake Ford in Sour Lake TX, 77659.

My dealer intends on having the car transferred to Russell and Smith Ford. From what I understand the regional incentives includes $3000 incentive cash and 0% interest up to 60 months.

The VIN is 2FMDK39C59BA93339.

I greatly appreciate your input. I have always bought used cars in the past. I don't want to be taken advantage of by the dealers due to my ignorance.

Regards,

Steve

Hi Steve. :D Okay, now we have something to work with. As you stated, the MSRP of that Edge is $34,430 and the Incentives are $3,000 Cash or 0% Finance APR Rates up to 60 months (1.9% for 72 months). And you are spot on concerning the optional equipment on that Edge.

Short story is that with the added information we now have your price of $29,451 is a good one.

Longer story, with more detail: First, of course that assumes that the Dealer does not add any other extra "Fees" or "Charges" such as "Documentation", Destination", "Dealer Prep", "Computer Usage", etc etc, to that $29,451 figure. Dealers like to pack on these "Fees and Charges" at the last moment, when you are not expecting it. And most buyers never question them. These fees and charges are nothing but pure profit for the Dealer. So, if they only add Tax, Title and Registration, you have a good deal.

Next, as an FYI price comparison: You state that you have a negotiated purchase price of $29.451. If you were buying this Edge using a Ford X-Plan "Friends and Neighbors" PIN (available from a Ford Employee), your Final X-Plan Price would be $29,396. That would be a Ford Purchase Plan Price, backed by Ford, and is a very good price. Essentially, it is Invoice Price, minus the $3,000 Incentive Cash. You are only paying $55 more than that Ford Purchase Plan Price. A good deal.

Of course, it never hurts to try and talk them down another $100-$200, but bottom line is your price is only slightly higher ($55) than that Ford X-Plan Purchase Price including the $3,000 Incentive Cash.

Just a few things to keep in mind: First, the $3,000 Incentive Cash and the 0% Financing can not currently be combined. It is one or the other. So if you take the $3,000 Incentive Cash, it is highly unlikely that you will get 0% APR Financing. So you will need to find out what the regular APR Rate is through the Dealership for Financing. Also check your Bank, Credit Union, etc to see what rates you may qualify for through them. You may be able to get a better deal through a non-Dealer source. Never hurts to check.

Next, again, be careful of those extra fees and charges being tacked on at the last minute. They will act as though everyone pays them and you have no choice. That is not true.

Bottom line, it seems you have a pretty good price there, if the Dealer deals honestly with you from this point on.

Hope this information is not too confusing and helps. If my explanation is confusing, feel free to ask any questions you may have.

Edited by bbf2530

They also have incentives for turning in a Chrysler product right now.

When I was shopping for mine, I contacted 7-8 dealers. All but one tried to give me just the Ford rebate, nothing else off of the sticker, telling me that they were doing the best they could, on a 2008! They really think we do not know how this works. I was also told that when you take the rebate, the dealers usually will not finance you through Ford with a good rate because they took a hit with the rebate. So if you can get your own financing at a good rate do it, and then go in there and demand that the dealer get you a better one through one of their banks. That is what I did. I got a freat deal and a great rate on my loan.

I have since learned the quote of $29451 includes the discount $3000 cash back incentive.

If I took the 0% interest my actual cost would be $32,451 (plus TT&L). Considering the MSRP is $34430 does this still seem like a good deal?

I have since learned the quote of $29451 includes the discount $3000 cash back incentive.

If I took the 0% interest my actual cost would be $32,451 (plus TT&L). Considering the MSRP is $34430 does this still seem like a good deal?

Hi Steve. :D Of course the quote of $29,451 included the $3,000 Incentive Cash. We explained that. I think at this point, you really need a family member of friend who is educated about car buying to assist you. Otherwise, you are going to be lost.

I think it may help if you carefully reread some of the previous replies. The two prices are good prices. The $29,451 figure is essentially a bit above Invoice Price minus $3,000 Incentive Cash. The $32,451 figure is essentially a bit above Invoice Price with 0% APR Financing. Both prices are about the best you are going to get. If you haggle, you may be able to get another $50-$100-$200 or so off (or you may not). That is it.

However, only you can do the calculating to see which choice gives you the lower "total out of pocket" expense over the life of your payments.

First, you need to determine what sort of APR Rate you can get from the Dealer, your Bank, Credit Union, etc if you were to take the $3,000 Incentive Cash.

We have no ides how much you are financing, how large a down payment you are placing, if you have a trade-in, how long you are financing for etc etc.

It is simply a matter of deciding which is better for you: $3,000 off the purchase price, or 0% APR Interest Rate. If you were paying cash for the car, the $3,000 Incentive Cash would be the obvious choice. If you have to Finance, there are far too many questions and variables for us to give an answer. But the price is a good price, either way.

Bottom line, you really need someone who knows what they are doing to go with you to the Dealership and help you. Do you have anyone you can count on who is educated in car buying? That is your best bet.

Edited by bbf2530

I am on my own on this so your input is appreciated.

I have confirmed there will be no "hidden" fees that pop up at the end of the process, so I feel like I am ready to move forward.

Thanks again.

Hi Steve. :D Then If you are on your own and have verified no hidden fees, I would say pull the trigger. If you are feeling spunky, you can try to negotiate another $100-$200 off, but that is up to you.

As I stated, if you can get a good interest rate from your bank or Credit Union, sometimes it can be worth it to take the Incentive Cash and arrange your own Financing. But again, there are too many unknown variables for us to tell you what is best in your case.

What it comes down to is you add up your total out of pocket expenses, including down payments, trade-in and all loan payments over the life of the loans. Do this for both prices: Incentive Cash with "regular financing" versus full price with 0% APR Financing. Then choose the better of the two deals for your circumstances.

Please let us know how things work out.

Best of luck. :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530

• 3 weeks later...