Towing a Snowmobile Trailer

Hello,

I am considering purchasing an AWD Edge because my round-trip work drive is 60 miles. I like the better mileage and comfortable ride compared to my current Explorer. My only concern is with the factory installed towing package: will it pull my snowmobile trailer. It is the drive-on / drive-off type with a clam-shell top. Weighs around 900 lbs. Each snowmobile weighs 450 lbs (the trailer holds two sleds). Because of the shape of the clam-shell I was wondering if it would sway much and if the Edge could handle it.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

It should handle it no problem. It is rated for 3500 lbs and a tongue weight of 350 lbs. The sway is going to be mitigated more by your trailer and hitch height. If your trailer is double axle you should have zero problem, but even single axle should be fine if your trailer has a slight rake to it, in other words, if the nose is slightly lower than the rear end.

:yup:

It should handle it no problem. It is rated for 3500 lbs and a tongue weight of 350 lbs. The sway is going to be mitigated more by your trailer and hitch height. If your trailer is double axle you should have zero problem, but even single axle should be fine if your trailer has a slight rake to it, in other words, if the nose is slightly lower than the rear end.

:yup:

Thanks for the quick reply. Sounds good. Would make me feel better is if someone told me that they do this. These clam-shell trailers act like parachutes!

This is the trailer that I tow with my Edge. I have an idea of what snowmobile trailers look like, and I believe that my trailer has a larger profile. I could be wrong, but I haven't had any problems towing this trailer. I do have a weight distributing hitch, but I don't have anti-sway. There have been a couple of times where I needed to slow down during a strong cross-wind, but nothing too bad.

med_gallery_5820_179_302685.jpg

This is the trailer that I tow with my Edge. I have an idea of what snowmobile trailers look like, and I believe that my trailer has a larger profile. I could be wrong, but I haven't had any problems towing this trailer. I do have a weight distributing hitch, but I don't have anti-sway. There have been a couple of times where I needed to slow down during a strong cross-wind, but nothing too bad.

med_gallery_5820_179_302685.jpg

DAMN LOL i think that trailer surpasses the 3500lb weight rating of the Edge. I'm sure the distributing hitch helps with the tongue weight but, i wouldn't be surprised if your transmission goes out before its time. The most i tow with our Edge is a small trailer made out of a S10 pickup truck bed. It weighs like 500lbs and the Edge doesn't even know its there. I leave the towing of our travel trailer to the 1981 suburban, which is much better suited for RV towing.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

I haul a two place aluminum 08 Sno Pro clamshell with my edge and it works great.

No shortage of power.

Tows better than my old Explorer Ltd did.

The AWD has not let me down and we've ran some pretty nasty weather with it.

I know this is an old thread but what tire combo do you use? I have just acquired an 08 Limited AWD and am concerned that Pittsburg NH wibnters may just be too much for the scorpions on 20's

Thanks

Steve