Interior lighting

First off, let me say I'm glad to have found this forum and learned a lot so far about my new (to me) MKX.

I am attempting to add some additional interior lights that would be controlled by the headlight switch & dimmer wheel. I want to add some light to the cupholders. I cant seem to find a good 12 volt source. What I have found in the console area just barely lights a test light bulb. So, less than 12 V.

Makes me wonder if the interior/dash lights are all low voltage type lights.

Any help or guesses are appreciated.

Sun. 7th. Just went out to try something and I found I had the dimming wheel turned to LOW. What was I thinking??? :finger: Oh well, alls fine now.

Edited by kempie

Thanks Lex. I was adding a lighted cig. lighter and some EL wire in the cup holders. $200+ is a little--lot much for me for some lighting. $20. covered this mod. Plus about another $50 worth of humiliation and frustration for not realizing the dimmer wheel was in the dimmed position.

I replaced the power point in the dash with a lighted lighter. Used the power point wires for the lighter and wired the light to the Blue wire in the console.

Then got a $10 EL type wire kit and super glued it in the cupholder. Used silicone to fill the hole where the wire exits the cupholder & cut the wire to size. Then misted the wire & cupholder with duplicolor spray paint (silver) so the blue wire wouldnt be so visible in the daylight. Connected the EL wire controller to the Blue light power wire and to the Black ground wire for the lighter.

post-6482-1244687154_thumb.jpg

post-6482-1244687181_thumb.jpg

post-6482-1244687203_thumb.jpg

Edited by kempie