I'm looking into some sunshades for the Edge, something that you can fold and place in the back of the seat, or similar solution, and take it and place on the windshield easily, not the type that need a college degree to rotate and open, and then mix with another that has to be rotated counterclockwise and place the finger here and there, sorry I will not waste time learning how to place a freaking sunshade on my car, what was in the past a pretty straightforward thing...

I have been testing several sizes, from Wallmart, Target, Auto-parts, and the Standard is too small, and the Jumbo a way too big...got even one very nice from Wallmart with a nice design $11.00 IIRC, same problem, standard too short, Jumbo came out too long and do not stay all flat, just folded in some places...

Does anybody had the same problem, what kind of solution do we have left, my parking is exposed and at my office I have the same problem, those sunshades if properly implemented are supposed to reduce the heat inside the car by almost 40% in some cases, what is not a joke, considering some parts will get 140 degrees on the sun in the summertime here....

Edited by Kanatronic

I'm looking into some sunshades for the Edge, something that you can fold and place in the back of the seat, or similar solution, and take it and place on the windshield easily, not the type that need a college degree to rotate and open, and then mix with another that has to be rotated counterclockwise and place the finger here and there, sorry I will not waste time learning how to place a freaking sunshade on my car, what was in the past a pretty straightforward thing...

I have been testing several sizes, from Wallmart, Target, Auto-parts, and the Standard is too small, and the Jumbo a way too big...got even one very nice from Wallmart with a nice design $11.00 IIRC, same problem, standard too short, Jumbo came out too long and do not stay all flat, just folded in some places...

Does anybody had the same problem, what kind of solution do we have left, my parking is exposed and at my office I have the same problem, those sunshades if properly implemented are supposed to reduce the heat inside the car by almost 40% in some cases, what is not a joke, considering some parts will get 140 degrees on the sun in the summertime here....

Hi Kanatronic. :D I have a custom fit one for my MKZ, manufactured by CoverCraft (they make top quality Car Covers, Sun Shades and other auto accessories). I know that CoverCraft makes one for almost all make/model vehicles. But they do not sell directly to the public.

I will check my paperwork and post back with the name of the company I purchased from.

It is the foldable, accordion type, but not cheap. Also not the flimsy Kmart, Walmart type. This is a stiff, custom made piece, with less than an inch of space on the top and sides when placed against the windshield. If I recall, it was approximately $40 with the storage case.

I'll get back to you.

Good luck. :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530

Hi Kanatronic. :D Found it. I purchased mine from CarCoverDepot.com. I searched CoverCrafts their online sellers, and at the time they had the best price, including shipping, for the Heat Shield Sunshade and case.

Here is a link: LINK: Car Cover Depot

I have the UVS100 Heat Shield. I looked it up quickly and it seems the Part# for the Ford Edge UVS Heat Shield is UV11011. You can also use the tools on the website to look it up for yourself.

If you would like it, here is the link for Covercraft: LINK: Covercraft You can check their other online Retailers for a better price, if you like.

Hope this information helps.

Edited by bbf2530

Thanks for the reply, I forgot to add afford-ability in my first post, sorry for the omission bf, I saw those already, but honestly I do not see myself spending that much on that, they are somewhat pricey, I was searching to see if I could get a decent price from a customized one, but no luck, but just for the cost of the shipping alone, we can get any big, non customized, cut it to the right size and shape, pay for the seaming back again, and will be still a lot cheaper than those.

The Ed Hardy one sold on Wallmart is very sturdy, just that is not the right size...I will drive around today to see if i can find any...again...

Thanks for the reply bf2530, and sorry for the little rant, but it was my fault for the omission...

Well no luck, went to several stores all carry the same crap, none of those will fit, so I pulled the trigger on those Covercraft expensive ones, hope will not get disapointes, around 50.00 with case and shipping...

Hi Kanatronic. :D First, I do not think you will be disappointed when you see the quality and custom fit of the Covercraft Heat Shield model. Even the case/cover is high quality. I am very picky, have it myself, and would never recommend it to anyone else if I thought it was not a quality piece of equipment.

Second, when I ordered mine (admittedly that was a over a year and a half ago) shipping was free from CarCoverDepot. That was part of what made them the most inexpensive overall. I hate to ask a silly question, but are you sure you had to pay for shipping?

Anyway, when you get yours please let me know how you like it. Remember, the old saying is true that "You get what you pay for". I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

Hi Kanatronic. :D First, I do not think you will be disappointed when you see the quality and custom fit of the Covercraft Heat Shield model. Even the case/cover is high quality. I am very picky, have it myself, and would never recommend it to anyone else if I thought it was not a quality piece of equipment.

Second, when I ordered mine (admittedly that was a over a year and a half ago) shipping was free from CarCoverDepot. That was part of what made them the most inexpensive overall. I hate to ask a silly question, but are you sure you had to pay for shipping?

Anyway, when you get yours please let me know how you like it. Remember, the old saying is true that "You get what you pay for". I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

I ordered mine from Coversforyou.com still waiting for the status fo the order....you are right the shipping was free, well if in a $50.00 sunshade we can consdier anything free...LOL...

I got mine from my local Ford dealer. It was from Intro-Tech, and cost $25 (from Ford). The fit is very near perfect. The only "downside" is that you have to roll it up (I roll mine up inside out, makes it fit that much better). Storage size is about 4-5" diameter and the height of the windshield, which makes it slightly less convenient if you have people in the back in and out a lot. But they can just put it in back and get it out for you when you arrive. Easy and quick to put up and down. I love it, and would buy another one.

Good luck

:happy feet:

That one is accordion type, foldable, it takes three weeks to get here, they are manufacturing it according ot them, but anyway I do not expect it to be thin, you cna use the backpockets of the seats, or place it under the front seats...

Mine is NOT foldable (accordion type) but rather a sheet that gets rolled up. It's quite thick, and fits and functions very well. The rolling takes a couple of extra seconds, and a little bit of space (sorry front passenger), but I really like it's functionality.

:yup:

• 3 weeks later...

I received my covercraft few days back, and the good thing is that the quality is outstanding, mine is the foldable version, but unfortunately is not an "exact fit" as they claimed to be, and for 50.00 it must be!!! So I'm in the process of either a refund or a real corrected customized one. While you place it on the windshield, it leaves a two inch gap if you slide them all the way to the sides, also the shape should be a curve, and is straight, and if you insert them all the way down into the dashboard space close to the windshield, it leaves around another inch on the top as well...So just for your info, they are great, but do not fit 100% exact as they claim...Second, the sunshade reflective material is not as shiny as others we have seen around, not sure how effective that will be reflecting the heat and sunlight (it seems that the have tested it, so on that I can not comment for now) but I was expecting a more closer to mirror finish one, and that is not the case, it is more like gray in color.

And the last but not least, is that it is very, very, stiff and hard to hide in any place while folded, so make sure you have spare room to keep that thing around, and on hand for easily installation, as folded it takes a good two inches thick, and is very very stiff...

Edited by Kanatronic

I received my covercraft few days back, and the good thing is that the quality is outstanding, mine is the foldable version, but unfortunately is not an "exact fit" as they claimed to be, and for 50.00 it must be!!! So I'm in the process of either a refund or a real corrected customized one. While you place it on the windshield, it leaves a two inch gap if you slide them all the way to the sides, also the shape should be a curve, and is straight, and if you insert them all the way down into the dashboard space close to the windshield, it leaves around another inch on the top as well...So just for your info, they are great, but do not fit 100% exact as they claim...Second, the sunshade reflective material is not as shiny as others we have seen around, not sure how effective that will be reflecting the heat and sunlight (it seems that the have tested it, so on that I can not comment for now) but I was expecting a more closer to mirror finish one, and that is not the case, it is more like gray in color.

And the last but not least, is that it is very, very, stiff and hard to hide in any place while folded, so make sure you have spare room to keep that thing around, and on hand for easily installation, as folded it takes a good two inches thick, and is very very stiff...

Hi Kanatronic. :D As I recommended the CoverCraft sunshade, I thought I would add a comment (or three or four) regarding your concerns (looking at things from a different perspective):

While of course you are free to feel that you are not happy and request a refund, your notion of an "exact fit" is a bit off. Within an inch of all dimensions is an exact fit.

Looking at this rationally: Even where you are complaining of a two inch gap, you say it is when you slide it to one side. That means when it is properly centered, there is about a one inch gap. That is approximately what I told you it was when I first recommended it. A sunshade can not fill every last millimeter of windshield. There must be room for the cover to be maneuvered into and out of position/place, often several times a day. With all due respect, this is a windshield sunshade, not a tailor-made suit.

And of course the sunshade is not curved. No rigid sunshade would be. And it does not need to fit the curve of the windshield to work properly. And if it was curved, how would you expect to fold it up into a flat package? It would be a design nightmare. You are already complaining that "as folded it takes a good two inches thick". How thick would you imagine a curved sunshade would be when folded?

You will not find any cover that fills every last inch of windshield and is curved to the shape of the windshield. Not even for $150.

And it is not supposed to have a "mirror finish". The finish is highly reflective and does an excellent job.

Next, why are you worried about "hiding it"? When I am not using my sunshade, I simply fold it, reach back and place it on the floor behind the front seats. Then when I park, I reach back and grab it to place in the windshield. If I have more than one passenger in the back seat, I simply place the sunshade in the trunk. I am not downplaying your concerns, but it has never been an inconvenience to me in 2 1/2 years.

Do not take this the wrong way, but you are looking for $150 (or non-existent) features while simultaneously complaining that it costs $50.

Again, I mean no disrespect and you are free to do as you like. I just think your expectations are a bit too high.

If after reading my reply you are still dissatisfied, I am truly sorry that my recommendation was not to your liking. I was hoping you would be as happy with yours as I have been with mine.

Whatever you decide to do, good luck. :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530

I will answer topic by topic as it seems that I was misunderstood, just to have others to have a clear idea:

Hi Kanatronic. :D As I recommended the CoverCraft sunshade, I thought I would add a comment (or three or four) regarding your concerns (looking at things from a different perspective):

While of course you are free to feel that you are not happy and request a refund, your notion of an "exact fit" is a bit off. Within an inch of all dimensions is an exact fit.

Looking at this rationally: Even where you are complaining of a two inch gap, you say it is when you slide it to one side. That means when it is properly centered, there is about a one inch gap. That is approximately what I told you it was when I first recommended it. A sunshade can not fill every last millimeter of windshield. There must be room for the cover to be maneuvered into and out of position/place, often several times a day. With all due respect, this is a windshield sunshade, not a tailor-made suit.

Not Sir, I'm a CNC lead programmer of a huge glass company, and I deal every single day with templates and CAD drawings from customers, some very good, but some horrible, that I have to practically redo. That template of that windshield was simply done wrong to begin with, you can justify them all you want, but exact fit is just that, exact fit. Once you have it done, correct shape and size, then you do your deductions, of course it will not be like a glove, you need some clearance, but they should at least follow the shape, simply just look at the website, the one shown there is exactly same size as the glass. Probaly one of the first they made, some other websites have other pictures of the interior of other cars with it exposed from the inside, you do not see any gap, it is hold on the sides between the column, and the glass, that is perfect fit to me, and the way I would do it, if the business were mine.

As the sunshade is foldable, and not 100% rigid neither, there is a way of accommodating it always, of course an inch would be perfect but overall, 1/2" per side, to leave it inside the black ceramic frit around the windshield, but not on each side like this one. Maybe I got a wrong one, that could be another issue??? But sorry to disagree one more time, but if it is the right one, I know how a template should be done, and this was severely neglected, in my humble opinion...for a "$50.00 bucks sunshade" this must be an exact fit...My sunshade is not the right shape to begin with, and I will explain further below, as I was also misunderstood about the curvature, but please next time while you put it on, just take a look.....

As a side note IMO that is an ultra luxury uberexpensive sunshade, I thought 100 times before ordering it, as a regular sunshade is just $8.00 or even less and just work fine, but unfortunatelly I was not able to find the right size around here....that cost $50.00, more than six times that price!!!

Just a little off analogy, but price-wise proportional, you can expect imperfections on a $30,000 car, as ours, but how about if you pay for a car $180,000 for it, will you except or will accept to have the same problems as we have?

And of course the sunshade is not curved. No rigid sunshade would be. And it does not need to fit the curve of the windshield to work properly. And if it was curved, how would you expect to fold it up into a flat package? It would be a design nightmare. You are already complaining that "as folded it takes a good two inches thick". How thick would you imagine a curved sunshade would be when folded?

You will not find any cover that fills every last inch of windshield and is curved to the shape of the windshield. Not even for $150.

Here is where you misunderstood my post, sorry if I was not clear enough about the curvature, but I was not talking about the windshield curvature on the surface, as logic indicates, the windshield is curved and the shade as it is foldable could be accommodated pretty good, as any other, sorry I'm not so stupid...I was talking about the curvature on the shape, on the sides of the windshield shape, around the front columns, just look at the sides of the sunshade while installed, and you will see that it has an small radius of maybe 3-4 inches, another 4 inches on the bottom, and then an straight line edge from top to bottom, but the sides of the windshield have a curve of about 8 to 10 inches on the lower corners so the sunshade do not cover those big gaps on the sides neither....

And it is not supposed to have a "mirror finish". The finish is highly reflective and does an excellent job.

I can not comment on this topic, and as I said in my post I have no information as how effective it is, and how effective is a highly glossy mirror finished one in comparison, but i ahve always seen them glossy mirror, and this was just a comment to make a point about one difference that could or not be relevant, as it is indeed different. Maybe it is better, or maybe not, I could not tell you until I test it in the summertime, if finally I keep it...

Next, why are you worried about "hiding it"? When I am not using my sunshade, I simply fold it, reach back and place it on the floor behind the front seats. Then when I park, I reach back and grab it to place in the windshield. If I have more than one passenger in the back seat, I simply place the sunshade in the trunk. I am not downplaying your concerns, but it has never been an inconvenience to me in 2 1/2 years.

I did not say anything about to hide it, but if you have passengers in the back seat, definitely you need a place to have it, and the ones I have in the past were easily accommodated between the passenger seat and the center console in the front, this one as logic indicates will never fit there, and you need a place to have it, that could be as important for you as the space you need inside the car while using it. For me this is not a big deal, same as you do, I place it most of the times in the back seat as well, even sometimes in the passenger seat, but for others may be an issue...not a deal breaker for me as the fit, but an issue...

Do not take this the wrong way, but you are looking for $150 (or non-existent) features while simultaneously complaining that it costs $50.

Sorry to tell you that I'm far better in my job, that those guys in their business, and I do not own the business, and they do, and trust me that if I were the one in charge of creating those CAD files for the cutting machines, as I do every single day, you would have in your hands now, a better fitting product, and I'm 100% sure of that...

Again, I mean no disrespect and you are free to do as you like. I just think your expectations are a bit too high.

Again, my expectation are just what I would expect for any item that would cost me 6 times the price of a similar one...

If after reading my reply you are still dissatisfied, I am truly sorry that my recommendation was not to your liking. I was hoping you would be as happy with yours as I have been with mine.

No please do not take me wrong, I really appreciate that you had reco me that, even more, even while the sunshade will not be my cup of tea, I'm still interested in other of their products. (Cover for the seats, etc...)

Sorry but my beef is not with you at all, and I really appreciate and thanks you, for your reco, as I said the product is very good, the quality and manufacture is very good, my only problem and a real deal breaker given the price, is about the fit, a real shame that whomever did the homework did it wrong big time...

Edited by Kanatronic

I did not say anything about to hide it, but if you have passengers in the back seat, definitely you need a place to have it, and the ones I have in the past were easily accommodated between the passenger seat and the center console in the front, this one as logic indicates will never fit there, and you need a place to have it, that could be as important for you as the space you need inside the car while using it. For me this is not a big deal, same as you do, I place it most of the times in the back seat as well, even sometimes in the passenger seat, but for others may be an issue...not a deal breaker for me as the fit, but an issue...

Hi Kanatronic. :D I certainly understand your frustration and that you expected something different than you received. I hope you can resolve this to your satisfaction.

However, I did want to point out one thing (so you do not think I am crazy or making things up): Although you now state that you "did not say anything about to hide it", you actually did say that the sunshade was "hard to hide in any place while folded" (the last sentence in Post #12). The quotes from your last two replies are above.

No big deal, but I wanted to be sure you realized that I did not just make it up and that you did say it is "hard to hide". That was why I addressed that concern in my reply.

Edited by bbf2530

Hi Kanatronic. :D I certainly understand your frustration and that you expected something different than you received. I hope you can resolve this to your satisfaction.

However, I did want to point out one thing (so you do not think I am crazy or making things up): Although you now state that you "did not say anything about to hide it", you actually did say that the sunshade was "hard to hide in any place while folded" (the last sentence in Post #12). The quotes from your last two replies are above.

No big deal, but I wanted to be sure you realized that I did not just make it up and that you did say it is "hard to hide". That was why I addressed that concern in my reply.

Thanks buddy, well indeed the terminology I used (hard to hide) was the way of saying that it is bulky in comparison to others, I do not even realized that I ahve actually say it that way...LOL...but not that I feel that is it so ugly that needs to be hidden all the time, at all, honestly, otherwise it makes no sense to have it around...

An update, I just received an email from the lady today, it seems that Covercraft is not willing to modify the file shape, and opted (as I was expecting) to offer the refund. Still we need to discuss how it will be returned, or if they decided to let me keep it on top...

It is really sad they have the same mentality I have seen many times in other places, something like: "instead of correcting this, we can try to sell it the way it is (not even as second or B stock), as the difference is not that that big, and if someone complain then just offer the refund".... of course I hope they will not have that many guys like me, otherwise they will be out of business more sooner than later... :hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:

• 2 months later...

So, I was wondering if any one has found the other kind of sun shades. Um, the ones that come in a pair, are oblong, you have to fold, and whatnot. I belive their usually called Magic Shades. I can't seem to find any large enough around here and was wondering if someone has found them online or anything.

Thanks!

So, I was wondering if any one has found the other kind of sun shades. Um, the ones that come in a pair, are oblong, you have to fold, and whatnot. I belive their usually called Magic Shades. I can't seem to find any large enough around here and was wondering if someone has found them online or anything.

Thanks!