Ford OEM Bumper Prot - POS

I should have checked the forums on the Bumper Protector first. :doh: I ordered one from my local dealer because I needed it very quickly.

I received it today, and installed it. (Note: it is not returnable once the box is opened)

The bumper protector is no thicker than a Wally World plastic milk jug. It does not cover enough of the rear bumper, and does not go close enough to the back edge. If it where thick like the ones that come standard on most SUVs and Crossovers, it would not matter so much that it does not come close to (or cover) the edge.

I can't believe Ford would distribute such a dinky, cheap product. Worse, they charge $55 for it.

DON'T BUY THE FORM EDGE BUMPER PROTECTOR! Buy the one sold by the person on the Edge forum - or anywhere but Ford.

Jim

2009 Blue Limited.

Love the vehicle - rides, drives and handles well.

Too many things were not thought out for a vehicle of this price, such as glove box lights, console light, and interior lights that CANNOT be turned off, and more.

Good to know, I almost got one. Can you paste the link for the 'good' one in this topic?

Regarding your signature, can I add the lack of daytime running lites and it seems that there is no light when you open the hood?

Hi igcitng. :D Daytime running lights can be enabled/disabled by the Dealership Service Department.

Due to the fact that not every drive wants/needs DRL's, they are only enabled from the factory on vehicles being sold in a State (or country, like Canada) that requires them.

So if an Edge owner really wants them, they can have the Dealer enable them.

Hope this information helps you correct one of your concerns.

Good luck. :beerchug:

PS - If your Dealer states that they can not perform this service, find a more competent Dealership. :banghead:

You are the information king. :)

I guess not having them on saves on the lamp life, gas.

Recently I have had two accidents in black cars. One was at night with headlights on and the other on a bright sunny day with daytime running lights. Both drivers said "I didn't see you". So really, unless it is dark or foggy/rainy and you have should have your front and back lights on, does not seem to be any advantage to them. My old truck was using two bulb sets a year.

Hi igcitng. :D Daytime running lights can be enabled/disabled by the Dealership Service Department.

Due to the fact that not every drive wants/needs DRL's, they are only enabled from the factory on vehicles being sold in a State (or country, like Canada) that requires them.

So if an Edge owner really wants them, they can have the Dealer enable them.

Hope this information helps you correct one of your concerns.

Good luck. :beerchug:

PS - If your Dealer states that they can not perform this service, find a more competent Dealership. :banghead:

You are the information king. :)

I guess not having them on saves on the lamp life, gas.

Recently I have had two accidents in black cars. One was at night with headlights on and the other on a bright sunny day with daytime running lights. Both drivers said "I didn't see you". So really, unless it is dark or foggy/rainy and you have should have your front and back lights on, does not seem to be any advantage to them. My old truck was using two bulb sets a year.

Hi igcitng. :D Just an interesting side note concerning accident statements, then I promise jimmc that I will stop hijacking his bumper protector thread.

Having a certain familiarity with accident reconstruction and reports, this is an interesting point you brought up. The guilty/at-fault party in an accident almost always invariably states that "I did not see you" to the other driver and "I did not see them" to the Police.

But if you think about it, whether they are telling the truth or lying, what else can they say? Either they really did not see you (driver inattention), or they did see you and intentionally drove in a negligent/reckless manner that caused an accident.

So, the lesser of the two evils is always to say "I never even saw you".

In the end, "I never even saw you" is the psychological equivalent of trying to say, that "It wasn't my fault". But of course, either way it is their fault. If they did not see you, they were driving in an inattentive/unsafe manner and not paying attention to the road. If they did see you but continued on the same course, it can technically be argued that they intentionally caused an accident. :banghead:

The best reply I ever heard by a cop to a woman who kept insisting that "I did not see them" and "I swear they weren't there" over and over and over (as though if she said it enough times it would not be her fault for running into someone) was this: "Ma'am, I heard you the first time, so you can stop repeating that now. Whether you saw them or not, they were here, or else I would not have to be here now. However, since you feel so strongly about it, I will certainly note in my report that you repeatedly told me you were not paying attention to nor looking at the oncoming traffic." The look on her face was priceless. She blurted out "That isn't what I meant, I meant it was not my fault!" Then she realized how foolish she sounded and did not say another word.

And just a quick mention on the saving bulb life/gas question. Yes, not having DRL's enabled may certainly extend bulb life. Probably not by a significant amount. Highly doubtful that DRL's use much fuel. The charging system on a car more than makes up for any added electrical use.

In the end, for those who live in non-DRL States, it comes down to personal preference. My preference? I do not care for them and would not have them on my car by choice. But that is simply my own opinion.

Sorry jimmc, back to you.

Anyway, good luck igcitng. :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530

I should have checked the forums on the Bumper Protector first. :doh: I ordered one from my local dealer because I needed it very quickly.

Good to know, I almost got one. Can you paste the link for the 'good' one in this topic?

know it is a little late, but search on the "bumper protector" (here is 1 of the better ones) topic and you will see lots on the available - albeit very few options - the rear bumper protectors. you could have seen how thin they are and others comments on them as being pretty... minimal

Which are the interior lights that CANNOT be turned off? :shades:

NONE of the interior lights that come on when the door, tailgate, or remote opener is activated can be turned off. That is to say, you can't prevent them from coming on when one of the aforementioned things are triggered. I've had Fords for years (and Japanese autos also) and on every prior vehicle, the dash light dimmer switch also turns off the interior lights when turned all the way toward the dim side.

There is a thread about installing a switch across the fuse block for the fuse that protects the interior light circuits. Guess there are many others that are POed about having to have interior light on any time a door is opened, etc. Only car I've ever owned that can't turn them off. Look at page 61 of your owners manual. It explains how to cause them to turn on - but nothing about keeping them from coming on.

A car of this class should have many small amenities that are missing on a vehicle with a window sticker of $35K. It never dawned on me to look or ask about under hood light, glove compartment light, etc. I could go on and on. My previous Fords had all the features I miss on this car. Of course, the Japanese cars I've owned have the amenities also. They have a much better feel of what the American consumer wants than the American car companies seem to have.

NONE of the interior lights that come on when the door, tailgate, or remote opener is activated can be turned off. That is to say, you can't prevent them from coming on when one of the aforementioned things are triggered. I've had Fords for years (and Japanese autos also) and on every prior vehicle, the dash light dimmer switch also turns off the interior lights when turned all the way toward the dim side.

There is a thread about installing a switch across the fuse block for the fuse that protects the interior light circuits. Guess there are many others that are POed about having to have interior light on any time a door is opened, etc. Only car I've ever owned that can't turn them off. Look at page 61 of your owners manual. It explains how to cause them to turn on - but nothing about keeping them from coming on.

A car of this class should have many small amenities that are missing on a vehicle with a window sticker of $35K. It never dawned on me to look or ask about under hood light, glove compartment light, etc. I could go on and on. My previous Fords had all the features I miss on this car. Of course, the Japanese cars I've owned have the amenities also. They have a much better feel of what the American consumer wants than the American car companies seem to have.

All the cars that I have in my life, all of them, turn the interior lights on while opening the doors, I do not know of any that do not do that, and honestly that is for safety in the night, not sure why the interest in turning them off, but also I can not tell you for sure as I have never tried to trun them off, what for? Maybe is that why I was not aware fo that very important missing feature...

• 1 month later...
All the cars that I have in my life, all of them, turn the interior lights on while opening the doors, I do not know of any that do not do that, and honestly that is for safety in the night, not sure why the interest in turning them off, but also I can not tell you for sure as I have never tried to trun them off, what for? Maybe is that why I was not aware fo that very important missing feature...

FYI - The reason I found this thread was because I just returned from the drive-in movies and was the only person there that could not turn off the interior lights. Lucky for me I has some tape. I guess the answer is "I can't do it".

I received it today, and installed it. (Note: it is not returnable once the box is opened)

The bumper protector is no thicker than a Wally World plastic milk jug. It does not cover enough of the rear bumper, and does not go close enough to the back edge. If it where thick like the ones that come standard on most SUVs and Crossovers, it would not matter so much that it does not come close to (or cover) the edge.

I can't believe Ford would distribute such a dinky, cheap product. Worse, they charge $55 for it.

DON'T BUY THE FORM EDGE BUMPER PROTECTOR! Buy the one sold by the person on the Edge forum - or anywhere but Ford.

I purchased the Ford bumper protector as well and thought the same thing when I first got it. But after I thought about it, they couldn't have made it much thicker due to the small amount of clearance between the lift gate and the bumper. Now that I have it installed, I'm quite satisfied with it.