Trailer Wiring: Question about Fuse Panel (interior)

I have read many topics on this forum related to the wiring of trailer electrical components (lights, brakes) and the consensus seems to be that you need to run a wire from the battery to the destination either under the car (to the back for lights) or through the firewall via the steering column to a brake controller. And even running the wire through the firewall into the interior and then along the side underneath the trim.

My question is why can't I use the spare fuses in the interior fuse panel to power these things. This would save the need to find a way through the firewall. For example (2007 Edge), position 18 has a spare 20A fuse that could be used for the brake controller and I could potentially use the 10A spares in position 32 or 33. Is it very hard to attach a wire to these terminals? Has anyone out there looked into this? Or is my assumption incorrect that these spare fuse positions are already wired to the battery?

I have read many topics on this forum related to the wiring of trailer electrical components (lights, brakes) and the consensus seems to be that you need to run a wire from the battery to the destination either under the car (to the back for lights) or through the firewall via the steering column to a brake controller. And even running the wire through the firewall into the interior and then along the side underneath the trim.

My question is why can't I use the spare fuses in the interior fuse panel to power these things. This would save the need to find a way through the firewall. For example (2007 Edge), position 18 has a spare 20A fuse that could be used for the brake controller and I could potentially use the 10A spares in position 32 or 33. Is it very hard to attach a wire to these terminals? Has anyone out there looked into this? Or is my assumption incorrect that these spare fuse positions are already wired to the battery?

if you're already running the wire all the way to the front, why not just go the extra few inches into the engine compartment. cut a small slit in the grommet, slide a metal clothes hangar through, and pull the wire back through the grommet.

if you're already running the wire all the way to the front, why not just go the extra few inches into the engine compartment. cut a small slit in the grommet, slide a metal clothes hangar through, and pull the wire back through the grommet.

You mean the grommet around the steering column? How did you fish the clothes hangar through? I picture myself under the car taping the wire to the hangar and then pulling the hanger back into the interior.

Personally, if I can I would rather do it right. I suspect that we are not meant to be routing additional "one of" wires through the firewall and that was the idea behind running a set of wires through and breaking them out into a fuse panel inside the car. With spares for future use. I can't believe that if I were to bring my Edge into the dealer mechanic they would actually poke holes through the grommet to run these additional wires. But when I asked to see the instructions for their wiring kit that is exactly what they showed.

You mean the grommet around the steering column? How did you fish the clothes hangar through? I picture myself under the car taping the wire to the hangar and then pulling the hanger back into the interior.

Personally, if I can I would rather do it right. I suspect that we are not meant to be routing additional "one of" wires through the firewall and that was the idea behind running a set of wires through and breaking them out into a fuse panel inside the car. With spares for future use. I can't believe that if I were to bring my Edge into the dealer mechanic they would actually poke holes through the grommet to run these additional wires. But when I asked to see the instructions for their wiring kit that is exactly what they showed.

yup but even the OEM harness instructs you to cut a slit in the grommet and fish the wire through. see attachment, step 18. thats the install instructions from Ford.

its not the grommet around the steering column, its to the left of that where a bunch of wires come through. you dont need to go under the car, just under the steering wheel.

sk_7t4j_15a416_aa__all_1.pdf

Edited by anpbabaki

• 1 year later...

yup but even the OEM harness instructs you to cut a slit in the grommet and fish the wire through. see attachment, step 18. thats the install instructions from Ford.

its not the grommet around the steering column, its to the left of that where a bunch of wires come through. you dont need to go under the car, just under the steering wheel.

That attachment was very helpful. I'm installing the trailer wiring harness on my 2008 edge. Question: on the left tail light, it says to splice into the violet/white wire at the tail light assembly. There is a group of wires that branches out of the main harness and goes into the tail light. There are 2 violet/white wires in this branch. I don't know which one to tap into. Or, do I tap into the main harness (I'll have to go back and look to see if there is only one violet/white wire there). Any help would be appreciated.