2008 SEL - Odd transmission issue

nisajoy

I have a 2008 SEL with 6000 miles on it . Twice in the last 6 weeks I have had an odd problem. I start the vehicle and put it into drive and it seems to stick in first gear. When I get to about 20 mph the car hesitates and the RPMs go high. The little wrench symbol appears on the dashboard. I stop the car and when I restart it I have no problem. Since this has happened only twice ( both time middle of the day, hot out and the car had been stopped for about an hour).

Any ideas? I know that I should probably take it to the dealer but I would like to have a vague idea of what I am talking about before I go.

thanks!

• 1 month later...

An update. The problem got worse. The vehicle started "hard shifting" at various intervals and when I used the cruise control it went completely nuts and gave me an error light. I took it in today and they said that they had to reprogram the ECU and that there was a TSB out on the problem.

So, a heads up for anyone who thinks that their Edge is shiffting oddly.

Sounds like a "Speed Sensor" is going south. My previous ride (2002 KIA Sedona) had a similar problem that cause the transmission to suddenly downshift then recover (all within several seconds time). First time it happened I was doing 65 MPH in moderate traffic and was lucky that the car behind me didn't rear-end me! Second time it happened I was able to get it to the shop before the code cleared and that's when the defective speed sensor was found. After replacement of the speed sensor, I never that (same) problem again.

It is in fact the speed sensor. Of course neither they, nor the 8 Ford dealers within 50 miles of here, have the part. They "might" get it today but "probably" will get it Monday. When I asked at what time of day their parts arrive he said " anywhere between 8 am and 3 pm". Me big beef at this point is that the rental car they put me in is a Nissan Altima. They say Ford has a $30 a day allowance for car rental on warranty work. Normally I would live with this but I am going to the beach this weekend and 400 miles in a tiny car that doesn't have the features or comfort of mine is not making me happy. I even offered to pay the difference to get a better car but there is a golf tournament in town so none are available ( at least according to Enterprise). The service advisor is calling a local agency today to see if they can do any better.

If the sensor arrives today they say it's a 4 hour job so if it gets in by 11 I can have the car by 3 ( the time I plan to leave for the beach).

The irony in all this is that I am the Director of Parts Support for a heavy duty truck manufacturer so I understand availability issues .What I find unaccceptable is

A. not knowing an aprroximate arrival time for the part ( we ship emergency parts Fed Ex Priority and non emergency arrive LTL and are supposed to be within a 2 hour window and

B. The inability to put me in a similair vehicle.

Well, that's this morning's rant . I will let you know how it all works out!

They couldn't get the part until Monday so I had to drive an Altima 600 miles to the beach over the weekend but that's another story. I picked up the car ( and might I add it would be nice if they at least gave it a courtesy wash after all this but no) on Tuesday morning. They replaced the speed sensor and so far so good. One thing that I have noticed is that in the past 2 weeks my gas mileage has decreased significantly. I hope that it improves now that this is replaced.

• 2 years later...

I've been noticing my 2008 Edge SE AWD shifting hard lately. It originally was very intermittant, now it more frequent. One thing I have noticed with the hard shifting issue is, it seems to have started when my tires started to wear rapidly, especially the front tires. The front tires are in worse shape then the rears. I'm not sure how this happened as I have rotated regularly. When I asked the tire shop to rotated them the said it was best to keep the better tires on the rear, so they didn't rotate. Now that the front tires are worn more this hard shifting issue has become more frequent. Now the tires aren't that great of a tire, my mistake. I'm thinking the tires wore so quickly do to the cheap quality, or alignment needs checked. So what leads me to think it may have something to do with tire wear is that AWD vehicles are very touchy when the tires are not at or close to the same tread depth. As well all 4 tires must be the same tire, same brand and same tread pattern or you will have major drivetrain issue.

I'm not saying this is what is cause this issue to occur, but could be affecting the drivetrain in some way. So, everyone check your tread depths on all 4's. I'm not 100% certain but I remember the tire shop said that if there is a 2/32 or 3/32 difference between the front and rear tires that it may cause tranny issues on AWD.

• 2 months later...

An update. The problem got worse. The vehicle started "hard shifting" at various intervals and when I used the cruise control it went completely nuts and gave me an error light. I took it in today and they said that they had to reprogram the ECU and that there was a TSB out on the problem.

So, a heads up for anyone who thinks that their Edge is shiffting oddly.

Its been a couple years since this thread started but I can fill you in that this problem has been in a bulletin at Ford . The vehicle was driven too long after the initial staying in 1st gear problem and it made for more damage than if the vehicle had been taken to a dealer when it started. Ours started doing this randomly and putting the car in park shutting it off and restarting it would make the trans return to normal operation. The dealer replaced two solenoids in the transmission and did a reprogramming about 18 months ago and its been perfect since.

This transmission is a jointly developed transmission that GM is also using . Its actually a pretty good transmission . GM resorts to complete valve body assemblies when they have have issues while Ford is servicing more individual components . In the future more small transmissions shops along with Transtar and parts suppliers will gain more knowledge of its problems and fixes both factory and aftermarket will be able to easily address whats appearing as problems.

link info: http://en.wikipedia....ic_transmission

Edited by BLACK ICE
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've been noticing my 2008 Edge SE AWD shifting hard lately. It originally was very intermittant, now it more frequent. One thing I have noticed with the hard shifting issue is, it seems to have started when my tires started to wear rapidly, especially the front tires. The front tires are in worse shape then the rears. I'm not sure how this happened as I have rotated regularly. When I asked the tire shop to rotated them the said it was best to keep the better tires on the rear, so they didn't rotate. Now that the front tires are worn more this hard shifting issue has become more frequent. Now the tires aren't that great of a tire, my mistake. I'm thinking the tires wore so quickly do to the cheap quality, or alignment needs checked. So what leads me to think it may have something to do with tire wear is that AWD vehicles are very touchy when the tires are not at or close to the same tread depth. As well all 4 tires must be the same tire, same brand and same tread pattern or you will have major drivetrain issue.

I'm not saying this is what is cause this issue to occur, but could be affecting the drivetrain in some way. So, everyone check your tread depths on all 4's. I'm not 100% certain but I remember the tire shop said that if there is a 2/32 or 3/32 difference between the front and rear tires that it may cause tranny issues on AWD.

Thats why you have a differential in the vehicle. Teh Diff makes up for differences in tire size and travel distance in corners. The issue will show up if you have a locking differential. When the diff locks the circumference difference will cause one or 2 of the tires to "skid" not perceptibly but they will wear faster. I am not sure if this would be the case on the edge awd. Also Front tires will always wear faster than the rear as they deal with the under steer built into the vehicle.