The END of CAFE...!!

wwest

First, substantially raise the federal tax on public roadway use fuels. Then advise ALL manufacturers that they must provide a custom engine firmware control REFLASH at the request of the owner/buyer.

The reflash would be designed to LIMIT the 0-60MPH time to something reasonable considering the weight of the vehicle. The heavier the vehicle the longer it would take to accelerate from a stop to 60MPH, regardless of actual engine HP. Passing HP, say from 35MPH and up, and subsequent to a period of cruise, would NOT be throttled.

Many modern FWD or F/awd vehicles are already doing this, limiting engine torque in the low gear ranges, as a safety matter.

A rebate program would reward those who volunteerily had the reflash done by the dealer.

Vehicles that already met the new 0-60MPH standard would automatically be eligble for the rebate program. My '93 Ford Ranger PU w/I4/stick for instance.

First, substantially raise the federal tax on public roadway use fuels. Then advise ALL manufacturers that they must provide a custom engine firmware control REFLASH at the request of the owner/buyer.

The reflash would be designed to LIMIT the 0-60MPH time to something reasonable considering the weight of the vehicle. The heavier the vehicle the longer it would take to accelerate from a stop to 60MPH, regardless of actual engine HP. Passing HP, say from 35MPH and up, and subsequent to a period of cruise, would NOT be throttled.

Many modern FWD or F/awd vehicles are already doing this, limiting engine torque in the low gear ranges, as a safety matter.

A rebate program would reward those who volunteerily had the reflash done by the dealer.

Vehicles that already met the new 0-60MPH standard would automatically be eligble for the rebate program. My '93 Ford Ranger PU w/I4/stick for instance.

Enough of government intrusion in my life! If I want to accelerate zero to 60 in 4 seconds, so be it. Enough with raising taxes. Enough is enough! Who's going to pay for the rebate? This is what happens when we let the government run our lives. :-(

Raising fuel taxes is a great idea, but reducing performance through electronic limiting is dumb. You're still getting all the inefficiencies of a high power engine with very little benefit. A V6 "limited" SUV is still going to burn more fuel then a 4 cylinder "unlimited" SUV under most conditions even though both will have the same performance. Better to just give the rebate to the guy who buys the 4-cyl.