Headliner - Velcro Fastener Adhesive

I just had my 2009 Edge Limited (with Vista Roof) headliner repaired at the dealer because the adhesive, used to attach the (headliner) Velcro fastener to the roof did not stick, causing the the headliner to droop down about 1 1/2 inches in the area of the rear interior light assembly.

Fix was to use an upgraded adhesive on the Velcro fastener; according to the service representative this issue has been seen on several other late model Fords and the problem was found to be that the adhesive used (apparently) couldn't take the Texas heat (which had been running over 100 Degrees F daily for several weeks in July and still gets in the upper 90's).

UPDATE

Within two weeks the headliner began to droop again. Dealer tried there own approach of repair and this lasted about one week. I requested that Ford be contacted for engineering support and today was told that a new headliner was sent to the dealer (by Ford) as it was Ford's position that dealer repairs were not effective due to not being able to apply the same process for applying / curing the adhesive as at the factory.

I have scheduled an appoint for this Wenesday to have the new headliner installed. I am very pleased with both the way my dealer and Ford have addressed this issue. Will update after the new headliner is installed and has some (Texas heat) time on it.

Edited by ebaker21

I just had my 2009 Edge Limited (with Vista Roof) headliner repaired at the dealer because the adhesive, used to attach the (headliner) Velcro fastener to the roof did not stick, causing the the headliner to droop down about 1 1/2 inches in the area of the rear interior light assembly.

Fix was to use an upgraded adhesive on the Velcro fastener; according to the service representative this issue has been seen on several other late model Fords and the problem was found to be that the adhesive used (apparently) couldn't take the Texas heat (which had been running over 100 Degrees F daily for several weeks in July and still gets in the upper 90's).

This is a common problem that Ford is well aware of. In 07 when I was looking to buy, several of the cars on the dealer lot already had the headliner hanging down. Mine came down a few week s after purchase. I pushed it back up & it stayed for a couple of months & came down again. The dealer fixed it pretty near 2 years ago & its still OK. I'm a little left of you where its been well over 100 for the past month.

• 1 year later...