O.E.M. Roof Crossbars

For those of you interested I have posted some pictures in the "Members Gallery" area entitled O.E.M. Crossbars. For those of us who did not purchase the Vista roof option you can get factory cross bars for the roof of your new Edge or MKX. My cost was $85.00 @ the Ford dealer and install time to do it myself was about 30 minutes. It is a fairly simple task and all that is needed is a torkz bit #25 and #30.

One the underneath of the bars is a "Front" designation to match up with two LH (left hand/Drivers side) brackets and two RH (right hand/Passenger side) brackets that attach to the existing side rails already on my roof. Inspect the brackets carefully to insure seeing the LH & RH scripts. In all there are 12 screws that will need to be tightened. (2 per each bracket and 2 per each crossbar) Good luck and any questions just ask. I think it "finishes off" the look of the Edge or MKX without the vista glass option. Another item I think that should have come on the vehicle. :banghead:

Ford part # 7T4Z-7855100-BA Kit-Luggage

Still waiting for my cross bars to come in. There seems to be a lack of certain supplies out there.

I might have liked to have the vista roof if it could have been mounted with the crossbars, but unfortunately that didnt seem to be an option. Not sure how the roof structure might have supported or not supported it.

I opted not to get the factory cross bars simply because if you are thinking of putting on a bike, kayak or ski rack the bars that you can get with those systems look stronger to me and also you don't have to wait for the companies to make adapters for the cross bars. I put on a 6 pair ski rack from thule http://www.mountaingear.com/pages/product/...m/923274/N/1145 for $170.00 it includes the cross bars and the ski attachments, and adjusts to the car width. Install took about 25 mins. I don't have a bike or a kayak so I only needed the ski rack so when ski season is over it all comes off nice and neat.

I'll post some picks next week I'm going on a ski trip tomorrow so I'll finally get to see how the edge handles with 4 people and a shit load of gear. Also we are suppose to get a bunch of snow starting tomorrow( I live in Western Massachusetts) Going to Killington for the weekend. :yahoo:

The roof bars that came on your vehicle originally. How are they held on? Will there be drilling involved to add them?

Hello rdonchann,

Welcome to the forum...

Some vehicles come equipped or can be ordered with the roof "side rails". These are the two rails parallel with the drivers side doors and passenger side doors. They will accept two "crossbars" that are perpendicular to the side rails. If you purchase the optional O.E.M. crossbars there is no drilling involved as the necessary equipment (screws & brackets) is included in the crossbar package and the side rails already have 8 pre-threaded holes waiting to accept them. :rockon:

Yes I was aware that you can get them oe on a new one. I was also aware of the crossbars that are an add on. The Edge that I am getting was found on the locator. It had all of the options that I wanted EXCEPT the roof rack. I made the deal for it. The dealer is furnishing the rails and I am going to install them. (I run a shop) What I was trying to find out is how the ones that come OE are attached. I did not know if they all have some threaded holes that can be opened up and used or if the roof has to be drilled from the underside. I wouldn't think that there are 2 different roofs but maybe they only drill the ones from below that are getting a rack.

On another note, the dealer went to pick mine up at another dealer about 500 miles away. Should be here late today or tomorrow. My wife circles the dealership looking for orange.:)

Yes I was aware that you can get them oe on a new one. I was also aware of the crossbars that are an add on. The Edge that I am getting was found on the locator. It had all of the options that I wanted EXCEPT the roof rack. I made the deal for it. The dealer is furnishing the rails and I am going to install them. (I run a shop) What I was trying to find out is how the ones that come OE are attached. I did not know if they all have some threaded holes that can be opened up and used or if the roof has to be drilled from the underside. I wouldn't think that there are 2 different roofs but maybe they only drill the ones from below that are getting a rack.

On another note, the dealer went to pick mine up at another dealer about 500 miles away. Should be here late today or tomorrow. My wife circles the dealership looking for orange.:)

Not sure how side rails are added but I would guess that you do not have to drill into your roof I would hope Ford was smarter than that. I can take a look at my rails this afternoon and see if I can see anything.

Mine came in today, so now I KNOW the answer to my question. The roof is pre threaded. You just remove the black trim strip that lies in the roof channel. Remove the three bases on each side that the trim snapped to. Then install one new base halfway back on each side. Then bolt down the new rails and they come with new trim for the channel and snap down to the 2 new bases that were installed above.

Maybe this info will help somebody else wondering about adding them. It took me about 15 minutes to do it but I was in my shop using air tools. The average Joe should be able to do it in 30 minutes pretty easy.