Leather Seat Stain Transfer

FLEdge

I'm new to this and am just now looking at the forum to see if anyone else has this problem. I have the taupe leather seats and am expereincing jean dye transfer that is staining the drivers seat. Have washed and rewashed the jeans and used every cleaning product the dealership can suggest...No luck.

All this has lead to some more extreme suggests that have failed: hair spray (which ususally takes out ink), simply green, saddle soap. No damage to the seats but the worse of the stains are still there.

Any luck with other ideas?

Thanks

I'm new to this and am just now looking at the forum to see if anyone else has this problem. I have the taupe leather seats and am expereincing jean dye transfer that is staining the drivers seat. Have washed and rewashed the jeans and used every cleaning product the dealership can suggest...No luck.

All this has lead to some more extreme suggests that have failed: hair spray (which ususally takes out ink), simply green, saddle soap. No damage to the seats but the worse of the stains are still there.

Any luck with other ideas?

Thanks

Hi FLEdge. I have a pair of black Levi's that causes the same problem. They leave black dye transfer on my Light Stone leather seats (very light gray, almost white in color). They are the only pants that cause that problem for me.

I use "Meguiar's Leather Cleaner and Conditioner" (a one step product), and it always takes out the dye transfer. The secret I have found is to patiently rub in the leather cleaner with my fingers and hand (I read this, so can not take credit for it). You need to work the Leather Cleaner in very well, and use plenty of cleaner.

Rub it in as though you were gently massaging the seats. You will begin to see the dye transfer, dirt etc slowly dissolve. Then let it sit for a minute and gently buff the excess off with a soft, clean cloth.

Essentially, any leather cleaning product will need a good amount of gentle hand massaging of the seats, followed by a gentle buffing.

Nothing for leather will be a simple "wipe on, wipe off" type of application. No matter what you use, it takes patience and some gentle elbow grease.

I also have "Tanners Preserve Leather Cleaner" and "Tanners Preserve Leather Conditioner" for tougher jobs. However, I have not needed to use it yet. Lexol and Mother's also make good automotive leather-care products.

Hope this information helps.

Good luck.

It is the cheap indigo dyes they use nowadays to get the deep colors. Cotton does not hold onto colors like polyester and other synthetic fabrics do. Body heat and friction cause the transfer.

Be especially careful with jeans that have a heavy dye smell that does not go away with washing.

Yep, mine is doing it from the plastic car seat for our child. I put a while towel under the car seat to attempt to prevent it. I'm really starting to wonder about the overall quality of this car...with the PTU issues I've had, and the plastic pieces coming off that I've simpy put back on myslef. My 2000 Sable had leather seats and we had the same car seat in there with no dye issues. I haven't seen it from clothing though - yet.

• 5 months later...

Did you have any luck? I am having the same issue, I have a 2008 Edge Limited with the cream seats.

Hi Keby. :D As I mentioned in my earlier reply, any good, name brand automotive leather cleaner is the way to go, if you are patient and use enough elbow grease. No leather cleaner will be a "wipe on-wipe off" type of product. They will take work and elbow grease.

I use "Meguiar's Gold Class Leather Cleaner and Conditioner" (a one step product). I also have purchased "Tanner's Preserve Leather Cleaner" and "Tanner's Preserve Leather Conditioner" for heavier clean-up jobs. But believe it or not, I have never needed to use it yet. The Meguiar's has always done the job so far.

One word of caution, the leather in our cars has a protective coating. If you use anything abrasive on it (e.g. the "Magic Eraser"), you may/will damage that coating. So while using something abrasive may/will remove contamination/stains/dye transfer, it will also damage that protective coating, making it easier for the leather to become contaminated/stained again, and may eventually permanently damage the leather.

Just as corroboration, you can find this type of information on any website concerning automotive leather care.

Good luck. :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530