Scratch!

refresh248

We enjoy the power liftgate, but had a recent bad experience. We park our Edge in the garage. I came home from work, in my work car, and must have accidentialy hit the open button on my key. I had to bring my garbage cans in and opened the garage door. When I opened the garage door, my garage door stopped opening a quarter way up. I did not realize that the liftgate was open and wedged against the inside of the garage door. You guessed it, I now have a nice scratch on the bottom portion of the liftgate! I ordered some touchup paint today and hope it does the trick. If not, I will have to drop some serious money to repaint the liftgate after owning my Edge after four months. I know, I'm stupid....and pissed!!!

how bad? I have used Scratch X to remove surfaces scratches. but I guess, if you ordered their 15$ paint, you must need it :(

I've had great luck with Scratch X as well. Just be sure to follow the directions on the bottle and make sure that you use terry cloth instead of microfiber for application. Not sure why, but it makes a huge difference!

Bummer. I have to pull mine in just right to be able to open the tailgate. I am glad I realized it before I damaged mine. 1950's garage, before suv's came along.

Did it go to the primer? If not I would take these guy's suggestions. Touchup paint makes a bigger mess sometimes.

Damn that sucks. I got real lucky this past weekend. I had my Thule bike rack on the hitch and accidently hit the powerliftgate also. It banged hard against the rack and went back down. I freaked out and immediately checked for damage. Luckly nothing happened. It hit right at the handle for the liftgate. I don't know how it didn't get scratched or damaged. :rockon:

Hopefully you get get the scratches out w/out having to repaint it.

Edited by hydro

Thanks for the responses. I had to vent my frustration. I had to special order the touch up paint due to it not being in stock, and yes the scratch is at least down to the primer, if not the metal. It's only about two inches long and about as wide as a strand of linguine. The top portion has a chip out of it. I'm hoping the scratchx and the touch up paint will cover it up for the most part. I do not want to even think about the cost of repainting the liftgate! The paint was only $10.00, but will take one week to get in.

I purchased some pipe insulation today at Lowes. It's like padding and fits perfectly over the metal horizontal cross bars on the inside of my garage door. Still need to purchase two more pieces for two other cross bars (lower ones.) Anyone parking their Edge in the garage, with the rear end at the door, might want to consider the same. I'll let you all know how the repair goes. Maybe I'll take before and after photos!!!!

Damn that sucks. I got real lucky this past weekend. I had my Thule bike rack on the hitch and accidently hit the powerliftgate also. It banged hard against the rack and went back down. I freaked out and immediately checked for damage. Luckly nothing happened. It hit right at the handle for the liftgate. I don't know how it didn't get scratched or damaged. :rockon:

Hopefully you get get the scratches out w/out having to repaint it.

I added very well placed padding to my bike rack as I have also done this. no car damage, but enough to scare me. I also then painted the padding black so it looks like it came that way. this way, if I make the bone head error of opening the boot while the rack is straight up and not swung away, it hits padding. I actually made a laminated color "bike on rack" little placard I can put over the boot release button on the dash as yet another reminder.

if I get the time, I will photo.

I added very well placed padding to my bike rack as I have also done this. no car damage, but enough to scare me. I also then painted the padding black so it looks like it came that way. this way, if I make the bone head error of opening the boot while the rack is straight up and not swung away, it hits padding. I actually made a laminated color "bike on rack" little placard I can put over the boot release button on the dash as yet another reminder.

if I get the time, I will photo.

Thanks for the info Lex. I'll definitely get some padding in the area that might get hit when the rack is straight up and not tilted away. Just in case it happens again (which I'm sure it will).

Refresh, keep us updated on the touch-up job once you're done.