2009 Factory Navigation Not Sounding So Good

Hello. I recently bought a 2009 Ford navigation unit to install into my 2009 Ford Edge SE. I took out the factory single CD player and replaced it with the new 2009 version and it doesn't sound like I think it should. It seems like there is some bass response that is missing in it. Does anyone know why this may be? I did have to buy separately the external factory Ford amplifier with the harness for it so it would output sound and it does output sound but again seems like there should be more bass. The Edge is an SE model with the 4 speakers and no subwoofer. I was reading around this forum and others about the radio and I have read that it may need to be programmed. Do you think that may be the problem? Is it possible that maybe the subwoofer is programmed to be on and taking away from the bass for the other speakers? Any help is welcomed. Thanx.

Hello. I recently bought a 2009 Ford navigation unit to install into my 2009 Ford Edge SE. I took out the factory single CD player and replaced it with the new 2009 version and it doesn't sound like I think it should. It seems like there is some bass response that is missing in it. Does anyone know why this may be? I did have to buy separately the external factory Ford amplifier with the harness for it so it would output sound and it does output sound but again seems like there should be more bass. The Edge is an SE model with the 4 speakers and no subwoofer. I was reading around this forum and others about the radio and I have read that it may need to be programmed. Do you think that may be the problem? Is it possible that maybe the subwoofer is programmed to be on and taking away from the bass for the other speakers? Any help is welcomed. Thanx.

only suggestion I can think of that doesn't include bad equipment is you say you had to add an amplifier of some type if you had to do any wiring of the speakers at all check the polarity of the speakers. If you have some of them reversed they work to cancel he sound mainly the bass frequencies.

maybe the external factory Ford amplifier just doesn't output as much bass as the factory radio. if it's the one that's designed to be used with the factory sub it may have crossovers that block the bass. That is my first thought, but it could just be different as the factory 6 cd deck does seem to have the bass jacked up by default at least it did on mine.

The SE with single CD comes with the base audio of 4 very cheap speakers, the units that get navigation get the audiophile system which usually has 9 speakers incl the subwoofer (front door speakers have tweeters in the A pillars, rear door speakers are 2 way with tweeters in main speaker assy).

Also the EQ curve in the DSP for the Nav will be set up for the 9 speaker set up.

Unless you add the sub, and the tweeters, I'm sorry but it will always sound very poor.

• 2 months later...

I just got my SEL AWD 2010 Edge. I had the Navigation added with premium sound. Speakers sound ok, but I did not get the tweeters in the A-pillars.

Did the factory miss this with the upgrade or does the SEL premium sound with nav just have the door speakers and subwoofer in rear passenger panel.

Thanks