any skiers have an idea about this?

bsistar

just bought a '10 with Vista roof.

so far no luck finding a ski rack for the roof- because of the way it all opens - out and UP.

option?

rear lift gate rack.....or?

higher profile rack? any out there?

traded in the Suburban. It held 6 to 8 pairs on top, no problem.

of course it only got 11 MPG, at best. But drove thru anything.

Ski season comes up soon, any help is appreciated.

so far no luck finding a ski rack for the roof- because of the way it all opens - out and UP.

option?

Do you happen to have the trailer towing package (hitch receiver)? If so, there are ski racks made which plug into the receiver; they hold the skis vertically, and do not contact the car. The negative: depending on the ski rack, you may or may not be able to open the hatch with the rack (attached to the receiver).

I actually have a similar concern ('09 w/ Vista roof), but no receiver. For me, I can just fold down one rear seat, and think (or should I say hope) I can get 4 sets to skis (daughter races USSA), 2 pair of boots, and luggage in the car. We'll see....may be a snug fit.

There are also 'receiver plug-in racks' which hold bicycles.

I thought about having a receiver put on the car...not for towing...but for the ski rack.

Good luck.

Why not just pull the fuse for the roof (so it doesnt get opened by mistake) and put the racks on the roof rails?

I don't think you can put 'roof rails' on an Edge which has the Vista roof...(no roof rails are present if you have the Vista roof).

Please let me know if I'm missing something...if you can install roof rails w/ the Vista roof, I'm interested...I think I could easily install a switch enabling/disabling the power to the roof.

Thx,

H

Edited by Goldy

option?

You need to read and see what I did . . .

Yakima Q Towers and BAMR

http://www.fordedgeforum.com/index.php?sho...0&hl=yakima

• 4 months later...

update:

got the Yakima Q towers and crossbars. Got Thule ski and snow board holders. They were somewhat easy to assemble and attach.

The vista roof will clear the rack/ski bindings and open all the way!

When I first put them on I had the ski holders attached all the way toward the passenger side to make it easier to put skis up and to take em off.

In that position the vista roof DID push against the center hardware/fittings/bolts. The glass is curved and higher in the center.

So I centered the Thule ski holders on the crossbars, which got the hardware away from dead center of the glass..

We can easily get the skis up and down using a ski pole to get the hard to reach set down. (we're not tall).