I have a 2007 Ford Edge with about 40K miles on it. I bought the "Premium" Extended Warranty. The Vista roof doesn't seem to be opening and closing properly, so I took it into the dealership. They informed me that the vista roof panels were not lining up properly and therefore the "roof panel rails" needed to be replaced. Unfortunately, Ford claims this is not covered under the Extended warranty (although every other nut and bolt in the car is). So, they're saying it'll cost me $2800 to correct. I called the 800 # for Ford Warranties and they pretty much told me "too bad".

Has anyone else run into an issue with vista roof not being covered under Extended Plan?

I have a 2007 Ford Edge with about 40K miles on it. I bought the "Premium" Extended Warranty. The Vista roof doesn't seem to be opening and closing properly, so I took it into the dealership. They informed me that the vista roof panels were not lining up properly and therefore the "roof panel rails" needed to be replaced. Unfortunately, Ford claims this is not covered under the Extended warranty (although every other nut and bolt in the car is). So, they're saying it'll cost me $2800 to correct. I called the 800 # for Ford Warranties and they pretty much told me "too bad".

Has anyone else run into an issue with vista roof not being covered under Extended Plan?

Hi bluecker. :D Not enough information. We have no idea what Plan level you actually have (I know you say "Premium" Extended Warranty, but we need to be sure what plan you have, since Salesmen often call everything "Premium", including the lowest level plans. Even where you are located is important, as Plans vary in the U.S., Canada etc.

First, are you sure you have the Ford ESP Plan? The reason I ask is that in the U.S. (not sure where you are) the Ford ESP Plan is only available for purchase during the "New Car Bumper to Bumper Warranty" period (that is the first 3 years/36,000 miles in the U.S on Ford and Mercury vehicles. So if your Edge had 40,000 miles when you purchased it, you would not have been eligible for the Ford ESP (unless it already had it from the previous owner and the contract was transferred to you). So there is some confusion here.

Second, the ESP Plan through Ford has several different "Plans". They include "PowertrainCare", "BaseCare", "ExtraCare" and "PremiumCare" (from lowest coverage to highest). Not all will cover the Panoramic Roof and other components. Certainly not the "PowertrainCare".

If you are in Canada, I am not sure of the available Plans or what they cover.

Essentially, it is impossible for us to answer the question without knowing what plan you have, where you are etc.

In the end, more information would help us answer your question.

Good luck. :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530

Additional info provided...I am located in Chicago, IL area of the US. I purchased the PremiumCare ESP when the car was purchased brand new. So, $1300 for the Vistaroof, $1000 for the PremiumCare ESP, and BOOM, no dice on warranty coverage.

Any other experiences out there?

Hi bluecker. :D Sorry, misunderstood and thought you had purchased used with 40,000 miles. If you have the "PremiumCare" ESP Plan through Ford, then yes the Vista Roof is covered.

Go here to research coverages of the different ESP Plans: LINK: Ford ESP Plans

Not sure why you are being told it is not. Unless the Dealer and Ford are claiming the roof was damaged in some way by something you, someone else or nature did, there is no reason for it not being covered? Not making any accusations, just trying to get to the root of the problem.

What is the year and mileage limits for your ESP contract?

In the meantime, you might want to try another Dealer.

Edited by bbf2530

Additional info provided...I am located in Chicago, IL area of the US. I purchased the PremiumCare ESP when the car was purchased brand new. So, $1300 for the Vistaroof, $1000 for the PremiumCare ESP, and BOOM, no dice on warranty coverage.

Any other experiences out there?

What dealer is telling you this? If it is BoB Rohrman Ford that I am not surprised.

• 2 weeks later...

I just took my 2007 Edge in to the Dealer for same issue. Mine was opening fine but very sluggish when closing, and it even froze up on me this past summer. Luckily I have 21 days left on my warranty and I'm under miles because they told me it was a $5000.00 job to fix. I was told an outside glass company had to come in with special tools and remove roof, then the whole upper interior of the car had to be removed to to properly fix the issue. Supposedly about a 2 day job. He also said there is a Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) out on the issue. If I am not mistaken, a TSB will be covered by Ford even if the vehicle is past it's warranty period. Not sure on that so don't quote me.

If I am not mistaken, a TSB will be covered by Ford even if the vehicle is past it's warranty period. Not sure on that so don't quote me.

No, no, no. A TSB is nothing more than a note to the service technician to help them diagnose problems more quickly. It has NOTHING to do with the warranty. If you're out of the warranty period then you pay - period. A recall is another story but that's not the same as a TSB. And that's the same for all mfrs not just Ford.

• 7 months later...

Hi bluecker. :D Not enough information. We have no idea what Plan level you actually have (I know you say "Premium" Extended Warranty, but we need to be sure what plan you have, since Salesmen often call everything "Premium", including the lowest level plans. Even where you are located is important, as Plans vary in the U.S., Canada etc.

First, are you sure you have the Ford ESP Plan? The reason I ask is that in the U.S. (not sure where you are) the Ford ESP Plan is only available for purchase during the "New Car Bumper to Bumper Warranty" period (that is the first 3 years/36,000 miles in the U.S on Ford and Mercury vehicles. So if your Edge had 40,000 miles when you purchased it, you would not have been eligible for the Ford ESP (unless it already had it from the previous owner and the contract was transferred to you). So there is some confusion here.

Second, the ESP Plan through Ford has several different "Plans". They include "PowertrainCare", "BaseCare", "ExtraCare" and "PremiumCare" (from lowest coverage to highest). Not all will cover the Panoramic Roof and other components. Certainly not the "PowertrainCare".

If you are in Canada, I am not sure of the available Plans or what they cover.

Essentially, it is impossible for us to answer the question without knowing what plan you have, where you are etc.

In the end, more information would help us answer your question.

I took my 2007 Edge SEL Plus to the dealership 5 weeks ago with 2 complains and oil change.... in Canada!

1. My panoramic roof seems to stop when closing up from time to time... (I told them that I think it is the motor in the swtich)

and

2. I inserted Xenon lights in my headlights and the driver's side seems to burn out (2 bulbs so far) and I supplied the original bulbs with the oil change..

I had bought extended warranty with this car as it was a buy-back lease for 23,000 KMS now I have 40,000KM and problems are starting...

these two problems costed 50.00 each to look at and they never solved the problem...the roof ( I'm am still waiting for a reply --been 5 weeks)

and the headlights (I waited 2 weeks to hear from the dealership to see if this was covered by warranty) Which No is the answer...It seems that extended warranty is useless in most cases and not every nut and bolt is covered...

1. I finally put back the original bulb that came with the car and they worked! Which I though that they would have checked this out.... Why can't that knucklehead mechanic replace that and the problem would have been solved!

They mentioned that I needed a new headlight assembly kit which was $248.00 CAD plus labour to replace as not covered by extended warranty... I had broken the warranty because I replaced it with those Xenon headlights...

I DID mention that at the previous oil change visit Mar/10 I mentioned to the service advisor and they advised that it was OK. and there were a few Edges in town that had converted their headlights too.....

What a waste of time and $50.00 for NOTHING! they had the car an extra 3 hours for this....

2. now the roof...I am still waiting to hear from them....5 long weeks--- and you know what that means....the longer you wait the worse the news is for me... as probably there is no solution for extended warranty with the power switch on that roof...

since owing this car.... I have only used the roof 2 months last year and 3 times only this year.(weather permitting)..was does not amount to many uses....

I wish that they could be a little more forthwirth with customer support....

Especially since I worked where 20 years ago and know a few things about cars and my dad was parts manage there for 40Years at the same dealership....very disappointing....

I just took my 2007 Edge in to the Dealer for same issue. Mine was opening fine but very sluggish when closing, and it even froze up on me this past summer. Luckily I have 21 days left on my warranty and I'm under miles because they told me it was a $5000.00 job to fix. I was told an outside glass company had to come in with special tools and remove roof, then the whole upper interior of the car had to be removed to to properly fix the issue. Supposedly about a 2 day job. He also said there is a Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) out on the issue. If I am not mistaken, a TSB will be covered by Ford even if the vehicle is past it's warranty period. Not sure on that so don't quote me.

Good to know....I stopped using mine also....I live in Canada and only have 40,000KM on my SEL Plus 2007....only used it 2 months last year on 3X so far this year...not good at all! and in the warranty brochure it is not listed the roof that is...

I wish the gentleman would have warned me...actually he suggested to buy it as you might have a problem down the road....and of course I am and he is not longer working there....selling Volkswagens instead...

• 5 years later...

Just experienced the same issue of the Vista Roof not closing all the way on a certified pre-owned 2009 Ford Edge SEL. Fabric would close but the glass only shut a few inches. What a nightmare! Ford should do a recall on these, however unfortunately the likely hood of that is slim. If it was not for the extended warranty (which cost an arm & a leg) I would be dishing out $1000. Both of the motors and the wiring harness had to be replaced & initialized. 13 days later at our local Ford Service department I get the vehicle back & notice they did not grease the track what so ever. Seriously 13 days later. The motor seemed sluggish from day one. Almost did not purchase because it seemed like an issue at 35,000 miles. (Went out at 60,000 miles.) Looked at 3 other Ford Edge's that same day & noticed all the sunroof motors were sluggish. Anyone considering to purchase a Ford Edge with Vista Roof please reconsider one without the sunroof unless Ford does a recall. No one should have to pay for what clearly seems to be a faulty product. I say this as a loyal and strictly Ford owner since 2002. (1995 Lightning) Please educate yourself before making any kind of purchase of this nature. As someone stated on this forum we need to stick together... so we are not the ones getting stuck.