Bad Wheel Bearings

KyEdge

2007 SE AWD with 42,000 miles. I had been hearing a roar from the rear of the vehicle--started at about 20 mph and got progressively louder as I went faster. Replaced two worn out tires and the noise did not go away, but kept getting louder. Took the Edge to the dealer Saturday, and they are replacing both rear bearings under warranty. The parts still had not come in this evening.

On the bright side, the dealer rented me a 2009 Ford Flex SEL to drive until the Edge is repaired. I'm still not wild about the exterior of the Flex--reminds me of a school bus more than anything. I Like the shape of my wife's Taurus X much better. But the interior is very comfortable. Love the blue dash lights and the Sony stereo with Sirius. Seems to handle well considering its size, but the 3.5 litre seems to work pretty hard moving all that weight around. I'm beginning to miss my Edge, even though the Flex has more bells and whistles.

• 4 weeks later...
2007 SE AWD with 42,000 miles. I had been hearing a roar from the rear of the vehicle--started at about 20 mph and got progressively louder as I went faster. Replaced two worn out tires and the noise did not go away, but kept getting louder. Took the Edge to the dealer Saturday, and they are replacing both rear bearings under warranty. The parts still had not come in this evening.

On the bright side, the dealer rented me a 2009 Ford Flex SEL to drive until the Edge is repaired. I'm still not wild about the exterior of the Flex--reminds me of a school bus more than anything. I Like the shape of my wife's Taurus X much better. But the interior is very comfortable. Love the blue dash lights and the Sony stereo with Sirius. Seems to handle well considering its size, but the 3.5 litre seems to work pretty hard moving all that weight around. I'm beginning to miss my Edge, even though the Flex has more bells and whistles.

We recently had a similar issue and the dealer replaced the drivers side rear wheel bearing under warranty.

The rear wheel bearings is a fairly common problem, search the fourm and you can find it many times. There were some mismachined housings that caused the bearings to fail from what I understand. You are certainly not the only one with this problem, the good news is that once fixed it does not seem to be a repetitive problem.

Edited by TerryTwoUtes