Big Bang Theory!

juangoodude

Hea, New member here.

I have a 2007 edge that every once in a while will bang when it shifts out of 1st to 2nd. I have been reading horror stories about this and FORD dosn't seem to have answers. How many people need to complain before they take this seriously? Or, do they already know and are stalling.

Dose any one have a clue as to what this might be? :banghead:

• 1 month later...

Hea, New member here.

I have a 2007 edge that every once in a while will bang when it shifts out of 1st to 2nd. I have been reading horror stories about this and FORD dosn't seem to have answers. How many people need to complain before they take this seriously? Or, do they already know and are stalling.

I just got my Edge back after smelling burnt oil of a type. It turns out the dealer told me the Edge is prone to axle seal failure. It lets the tranny fluid out creating a bad shift response. Not bad for less than 30,000 mi. don't you think?

• 2 months later...

Hea, New member here.

If you're still watching the thread, I have a 2007 Edge with 43K miles and only a burned wheel bearing as far as significant mechanical failures. I took it in twice (before the warranty expired) with the hard 1-2 upshift, no help from Ford. I have found that this just about always happens when the trans is cold. If you start moving slowly, then shift to neutral and goose the throttle, then shift back to Drive (before pulling out onto a major street), this will just about eliminate the harsh upshift. It won't work unless you are moving first, doing this while you are parked will not have an affect. My theory is that one or more of the check balls in the auto trans is not properly sized and binds up when the fluid is cold. Goosing the throttle seems to cause something to move into position and either allow fluid to flow or cause fluid to stop. Not a transmission guy so I don't know what actually happens, just that it works.

• Like 1

I had sort of the opposit problems with my 2007. When it was cold and I would start driving it would have problems. When I came to a stop sign it would start slowing down and then hard down shift. I felt like the whole vehicle moved when it did this. I took it in a couple times and then actually had to leave it over the weekend before they could replecate the issue. They found out the problem was a software upgrade was needed with the transmission. After they did that, I didn't have anymore problems.

If you're still watching the thread, I have a 2007 Edge with 43K miles and only a burned wheel bearing as far as significant mechanical failures. I took it in twice (before the warranty expired) with the hard 1-2 upshift, no help from Ford. I have found that this just about always happens when the trans is cold. If you start moving slowly, then shift to neutral and goose the throttle, then shift back to Drive (before pulling out onto a major street), this will just about eliminate the harsh upshift. It won't work unless you are moving first, doing this while you are parked will not have an affect. My theory is that one or more of the check balls in the auto trans is not properly sized and binds up when the fluid is cold. Goosing the throttle seems to cause something to move into position and either allow fluid to flow or cause fluid to stop. Not a transmission guy so I don't know what actually happens, just that it works.

I had sort of the opposit problems with my 2007. When it was cold and I would start driving it would have problems. When I came to a stop sign it would start slowing down and then hard down shift. I felt like the whole vehicle moved when it did this. I took it in a couple times and then actually had to leave it over the weekend before they could replecate the issue. They found out the problem was a software upgrade was needed with the transmission. After they did that, I didn't have anymore problems.

Yeah, I read different posts about the flash upgrade to the PCM and TCM. Supposedly the upgrade changes the shift point so the upshift occurs at a lower RPM, thus lowering the built up pressure that causes the hard shift. My dealer claims he did all the software upgrades there were and the issue is still there. I thought by now someone would have come up with the definitive answer as to why it happens. My 16-year-old thinks she's getting this car for her own, but I would never give a young driver a car with this kind of issue. The hesitation between shifts could get somebody hit while trying to pull into traffic. It served its purpose, but this particular car is not a keeper.

I have the harsh 1-2 upshift on my 07 MKX. The dealer reprogrammed it twice & it still does. Said they can't recreate the problem. Yet, I can get it to happen every day on the first cold upshift. Its fine after the first shift. If I pull out slowly & let it shift without giving it much gas, it shifts fairly smooth & will be fine after that. Very frustrating for a car that cost so much. Otherwise though, its been great.

• 4 weeks later...