LEATHER STEERING WHEEL INSTALL. ANY TIPS?

I would imagine you will need to get a puller, I changed my Ranger wheel and just rented a puller from autozone, it didnt cost anything. Make sure you disconnect the battery for a few minutes before you disconnect the air bag. You don't want the air bag to deploy but it should be safe to unplug once there is no power to the vehicle.

• Like 1

I replaced the wheel yesterday and the wheel just popped right off after removing the nut.

Now the leather wheel feels great in my hands. The only thing that does not work is the radio buttons.

They light up but they do not operate the radio at all.

The original SE wheel has no radio controls: can the radio be reconfigured? I purchased the El Cheapo model.

The wiring diagrams state that there is wires leading from the clockspring to the radio module.

Is a reprogram in store to get the controls working?

Thats because the old one didnt have the wiring inplace. If the old wheel didnt have the readio controls the new one with them will not work. To get those to work you will need to look into replacing the clovkspring also and any harness associated with the new controls.

According to ford there is only 1 clockspring .

ok looking at the schematics you need to do 2 things

pull the radio and see if there is wire in position 18 Gray /yellow trace

and position 19 Blue /white trace

Then if they are there you will need to pull the cover around the steering colum and look for 2 wires there as well

on the 12 pin connector you need to see if there is a gray /yellow trace wire in position # 10

and on the 16 pin connector the blue/white trace should be in position 12

if not then we can get it done fairly easily just need 4 pins and the wire to get them together. The radio has the ability no need to reprogram.

Let me know i also can get the pins so this can happen.

• 1 month later...

Any updates on getting the radio controls to function? My wife has a 2007 SE and we are getting ready to order a new head unit (she's trying to decide if a Pioneer AVIC-Z110BT is worth the extra money over an AVH-4100DVD) and a backup camera and she REALLY wants to be able to add steering wheel controls. I told her I doubt it could happen but if I can do it as a surprise while I'm installing the new HU that would be awesome!

Should the harness be in the SE steering column already (or is there only 1 harness and it may bemissing some pins/wires)?

Thanks in advance guys!

Grant