HOW TO Replacing fog light bulbs MKX

Decided it was time to swap out all the headlight, high beams, and fog lights to Silverstars in our '07 MKX. Thought I'd take a few pics and do a little how to on getting at the fog light bulbs in case it helps anyone. Dont mean to sound like Captain Obvious but since they are somewhat covered up by splash guards and stuff from behind and underneath I figured it would be helpful. The headlight and high beams are pretty much a no brainer so I didn't bother taking pics of that process.

First, the vehicle is all dirty and salty, usually not kept this way but it is about 15-20 degrees outside and the roads are a little nasty so thats the way it is. At least the garage is a nice comfy 50 degrees so it's tolerable to do some work.

The easiest way I found was to pull out these bolts in the fender liner. The neighbor is always borrowing my tools so I was missing a few of my small millimeter sockets so a 7/32" worked just fine. Those new Michelin Latitudes we got have been awesome so far, very happy with them:

DSC_0903.jpg

DSC_0896.jpg

Next, they put that big molded plastic tab in the way so the bulb can't back out so you have to carefully get the harness loose off the bulb without breaking the tabs. Kind of a tricky step since you can only seem to get one hand easily in there. Here is a pic with the harness loose and the bulb out of the socket:

DSC_0898.jpg

Then, put the bulb in, twist it into the socket, and re-attach the harness. I prefer to add a dab of dielectric grease to the electrical connections just to make sure no moisture gets in there:

DSC_0900.jpg

Obviously the next step is to reinstall the fender liner screws and test it out. Back to normal. I've used Silverstars for so long I couldn't stand driving this MKX at night anymore with its stock bulbs. I just like the color and added visibility.

DSC_0906.jpg

DSC_0907.jpg

Edited by klc317
  • Like 1

good photos.. people over estimate the ease & speed of swapping these :) small hands help to get into the tight space

they are not like doing your headlamps

True! Trouble is that my hands aren't smalll so I still managed to scrape my wrists all up getting in there. Oh well, a little skin damage is still worth doing the job right yourself IMO.

Edited by klc317

• 5 years later...