Negotiating Time!

So I just entered negotiations on a ford edge for sale in my area. I'm doing this all via e-mail so I can't be a captive audience and so I have everything in "writing". List price was 24995, and I made an initial offer of 15000. Obviously a low ball offer, but i figure i have nothing to lose. The dealer countered with 23,500 and asked if I am going to finance. I don't want to take out a loan so I am buying with cash so I said nope. What do you guys think is a fair price for the car given the following information:

2008 Edge Limited, Copper Metallic Exterior, Camel Interior, 26,523 miles on it. Options include panoramic roof, leather seats, 6 disc changer, MS Sync, heated seats.

So I just entered negotiations on a ford edge for sale in my area. I'm doing this all via e-mail so I can't be a captive audience and so I have everything in "writing". List price was 24995, and I made an initial offer of 15000. Obviously a low ball offer, but i figure i have nothing to lose. The dealer countered with 23,500 and asked if I am going to finance. I don't want to take out a loan so I am buying with cash so I said nope. What do you guys think is a fair price for the car given the following information:

2008 Edge Limited, Copper Metallic Exterior, Camel Interior, 26,523 miles on it. Options include panoramic roof, leather seats, 6 disc changer, MS Sync, heated seats.

Sounds like a lot, did you work up the numbers on Edmunds?

Sounds like a lot, did you work up the numbers on Edmunds?

Yup, I agree its a lot. I'm not agreeing to his latest price of $23,500. I'm in New England so prices are a bit higher here. Forgot to mention its an AWD model.

Edmunds says dealer retail of $24,956, private party of $23,089 trade in of $20,688.

Yup, I agree its a lot. I'm not agreeing to his latest price of $23,500. I'm in New England so prices are a bit higher here. Forgot to mention its an AWD model.

Edmunds says dealer retail of $24,956, private party of $23,089 trade in of $20,688.

Usually Edmunds is right on. If you have a trade check on that too on Edmunds. But the dealer also needs to take the cash sale into consideration. No paperwork for them. In went in with a Capital One loan at a great rate and the dealer was actually able to get me better financing.

A simple tactic that I have used forever is to take someone with and whisper a lot and look annoyed. And when things are not going your way tell them you are going to go think about it, go to lunch or whatever. I bought mine last year and when I was not getting what I wanted I said that I was having a hard time letting go of my old truck and should think about it. Me gots what I wanted. :)

Usually Edmunds is right on. If you have a trade check on that too on Edmunds. But the dealer also needs to take the cash sale into consideration. No paperwork for them. In went in with a Capital One loan at a great rate and the dealer was actually able to get me better financing.

A simple tactic that I have used forever is to take someone with and whisper a lot and look annoyed. And when things are not going your way tell them you are going to go think about it, go to lunch or whatever. I bought mine last year and when I was not getting what I wanted I said that I was having a hard time letting go of my old truck and should think about it. Me gots what I wanted. :)

Well my wife is gonna come with me if we go to check it out, so I'll have someone to whisper to. The best part is we speak a second language so I don't even have to whisper, I'll just switch languages haha. I've got $18,000 in cash and I didn't want to go past that but it seems unlikely to me they'd go that low on it. I don't have a trade in, I sold my old car myself so I'd get more money.

Well my wife is gonna come with me if we go to check it out, so I'll have someone to whisper to. The best part is we speak a second language so I don't even have to whisper, I'll just switch languages haha. I've got $18,000 in cash and I didn't want to go past that but it seems unlikely to me they'd go that low on it. I don't have a trade in, I sold my old car myself so I'd get more money.

Statistically women are the decision maker in over half of all vehicle purchases, and the sales guys know this, so let her be the one to look annoyed. I had all kinds of salesmen fawning over me. And they made the head mechanic go on one of my test drives to tell me about the Edge. Good luck, and I hope you get one, I love mine.

Statistically women are the decision maker in over half of all vehicle purchases, and the sales guys know this, so let her be the one to look annoyed. I had all kinds of salesmen fawning over me. And they made the head mechanic go on one of my test drives to tell me about the Edge. Good luck, and I hope you get one, I love mine.

Thanks for the advice!

Where did you buy from?

Where did you buy from?

I am in the Chicago suburbs, Ford dealer on every corner but could not find one dealer around here that would work with me. One dealer had 21 Edge's on the lot, this is back in Feb when the economy was at the height of bad, refused to deal. Most even tried to con me out of the rebate that was offered, or try to sell me a used one for more than a new one. Wound up at a dealership in Calumet City on the border of IL and IN. It is a pretty scary town, but the nicest people ever. They win a lot of awards for service and sales and now I know why. I have had it there once and serviced at two dealerships in my area and they don't even begin to compare. I dread going to the dealership for anything. And after I bought it all of the dealers I had visited or emailed started calling and emailing for my business. I made sure to tell them the great service and the deal I got, jerks.

I am in the Chicago suburbs, Ford dealer on every corner but could not find one dealer around here that would work with me. One dealer had 21 Edge's on the lot, this is back in Feb when the economy was at the height of bad, refused to deal. Most even tried to con me out of the rebate that was offered, or try to sell me a used one for more than a new one. Wound up at a dealership in Calumet City on the border of IL and IN. It is a pretty scary town, but the nicest people ever. They win a lot of awards for service and sales and now I know why. I have had it there once and serviced at two dealerships in my area and they don't even begin to compare. I dread going to the dealership for anything. And after I bought it all of the dealers I had visited or emailed started calling and emailing for my business. I made sure to tell them the great service and the deal I got, jerks.

I'm also in the burbs and initially went to Rohrman in Schaumburg but they were straight up conmen.

They were trying to charge me all these extra fees on top of my x-plan and then tried to steer me away from ordering a new Edge and into one of their used vehicles.

I ended up buying from Friendly Ford in Roselle for a few hundred over d-plan. Salesman was great and the buy was painless.

Edited by MOFSTEEL

I'm also in the burbs and initially went to Rohrman in Schaumburg but they were straight up conmen.

They were trying to charge me all these extra fees on top of my x-plan and then tried to steer me away from ordering a new Edge and into one of their used vehicles.

I ended up buying from Friendly Ford in Roselle for a few hundred over d-plan. Salesman was great and the buy was painless.

It is tough buying a car around here, always has been. I put off buying one for a few years because I did not want to deal with it, did what I could to keep the old one going. My wreck forced me to start looking, and pleads from my dad to 'stop the bleeding' and get rid of it. He was the one fixing it. :)

Well I'm heading in to the dealership tonight to try and close this deal. They still stuck at 23,500 but I've got some tricks up my sleeve.

Good luck, let us know how it goes. Print some pages from other dealers and wave them around while you are there, forgot to mention I did that too.

All right, price going down before the face to face. Woo hoo! Make us proud. :)

Well, the car was great, love it, the copper metallic is gorgeous. The guy tells me there he "thought" I said 23000 not 22000 so anyway we settled on 22500 and I left a deposit. Sealing the deal tomorrow, I hope they don't try to tack on a bunch of stupid fees.

Well, the car was great, love it, the copper metallic is gorgeous. The guy tells me there he "thought" I said 23000 not 22000 so anyway we settled on 22500 and I left a deposit. Sealing the deal tomorrow, I hope they don't try to tack on a bunch of stupid fees.

Its a done deal :) Heres the ad for the one I just bought, pick it up on monday

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=u&car_id=272337301&dealer_id=74018&start_year=1981&drive=All+wheel+drive&advanced=y&keywords_display=vistor+or+panoramic+or+sunroof&make2=LINC&max_price=25000&make=FORD&model=EDGE&style_flag=1&keywordsfyc=__dmlzdG9yIG9yIHBhbm9yYW1pYyBvciBzdW5yb29m__&keywordsrep=118105115116111114032111114032112097110111114097109105099032111114032115117110114111111102&search_type=both&distance=300&end_year=2011&default_sort=priceASC&address=01701&model2=MKX&seller_type=b

Thanks! I plan on doing a few aftermarket things starting with an aftermarket trim kit. I'll be back often I suspect smile.gif

Skip the bug shield. Get the Weathertech vent visors and the bumper protector for the Toyota Scion fits, there is a post about it under the 2008 Edge/MKX section.

http://www.fordedgeforum.com/index.php?/topic/3905-found-it/page__st__60__p__32262__hl__scion__fromsearch__1&&do=findComment&comment=32262

Edited by igcitng

Skip the bug shield. Get the Weathertech vent visors and the bumper protector for the Toyota Scion fits, there is a post about it under the 2008 Edge/MKX section.

http://www.fordedgeforum.com/index.php?/topic/3905-found-it/page__st__60__p__32262__hl__scion__fromsearch__1&&do=findComment&comment=32262

Yeah wasn't planning on getting the bugshield. I want to put it a wood trim kit, and maybe some ambient lighting in the cup holder and footwells. I want to do it tastefully though, and I don't want the hardware themselves visible at all. I'm thinking to put in a nav system too, but I need to figure out how that can work with the Sync system.

For exterior, was thinking of getting chrome door handles at some point, and maybe running boards if getting my kid in and out of the car seat proves difficult. Bumper protector sounds like a good idea, too.

Edited by Osiris1975

Yeah wasn't planning on getting the bugshield. I want to put it a wood trim kit, and maybe some ambient lighting in the cup holder and footwells. I want to do it tastefully though, and I don't want the hardware themselves visible at all. I'm thinking to put in a nav system too, but I need to figure out how that can work with the Sync system.

For exterior, was thinking of getting chrome door handles at some point, and maybe running boards if getting my kid in and out of the car seat proves difficult. Bumper protector sounds like a good idea, too.

Lex has tons of posts about lights.

Okay, I have a question, because as I should have anticipated the dealer had another trick up his sleeve.

I financed about $10,000 on this car, and the finance guy quoted me a rate of 3.8% over the weekend. Shows me my FICO score yada yada. Tells me that AAA won't honor the rate of 4.09 that they approved me for (I didn't buy that, but I did think he could really get me a better rate).

I tell him well are you going to process the application and he says "I don't need to, this is what we call a buyable deal, anyone is going to approve it".

So I say okay. I go home and come to pick it the car up yesterday and the finance guy pulls me into his office and says the bank came out with a different credit score, so it puts me a tier lower and now I'm stuck with 4.5%. It comes out to just about $3 a month more but its really the principle of the thing.

Heres what I think happened. The finance guy wants to entice me with a low rate, so he pulls my application with the highest of the 3 credit scores from the bureaus. I think they are supposed to use the middle score but I'm not sure. I think he new this but wanted to get me in a position where I'd come when picking up the car and be willing to accept the 4.5% rate. Offcourse the finance guy claims he had no way of knowing that would happen. I don't buy it. What do you guys think?

I'm thinking to post a complaint to the BBB, which incidentally, has on record another complaint for deceptive sales practices from this dealership.

Check out all the feedback on this about this vehicle, (EDGE,) before you buy it. I might be selling mine. To many problems for a new car!