2010 Edge Limited Speakers

I have read that the 2010 Edge Limited's Premium sound system has 9 speakers. Quoting From the 2010 brochure, "including A-pillar-mounted tweeters and an 8" subwoofer".

If the tweeters are located in the A-pillar, what type of speakers are in the doors? From the door panel grill pattern they look like some type of 5x7's.

I would like to replace the door speakers. I have my eyes on 6.5" DLS 426, 2-way coaxial speakers (depth 2.44") or 5x7" DLS 457, 2-way coaxial speakers (depth 2.28").

Will the doors accept a 6.5" speaker? Can the doors accommodate a speaker depth of 2.44"?

I have read that the 2010 Edge Limited's Premium sound system has 9 speakers. Quoting From the 2010 brochure, "including A-pillar-mounted tweeters and an 8" subwoofer".

If the tweeters are located in the A-pillar, what type of speakers are in the doors? From the door panel grill pattern they look like some type of 5x7's.

I would like to replace the door speakers. I have my eyes on 6.5" DLS 426, 2-way coaxial speakers (depth 2.44") or 5x7" DLS 457, 2-way coaxial speakers (depth 2.28").

Will the doors accept a 6.5" speaker? Can the doors accommodate a speaker depth of 2.44"?

The door speakers are mid-bass single drivers (like a sub only smaller). You're better off using a component replacement in 5.25" or 6.5" and replace the tweeter in the stock location. You can't just change the mid-bass driver by itself because it has the crossover to feed the tweeter.

The door speakers are mid-bass single drivers (like a sub only smaller). You're better off using a component replacement in 5.25" or 6.5" and replace the tweeter in the stock location. You can't just change the mid-bass driver by itself because it has the crossover to feed the tweeter.

The rear doors are also single mid-bass drivers or tweeter/midbass panel combo's?

6.5" drivers will fit in all four doors?

My plan at this moment:

Replace A-pillar tweeters (size?).

Replace front doors with 6.5" midbass drivers.

Replace rear doors with 6.5" 2-way coax drivers.

Thoughts and critics welcome.

Thank you!

Edited by Tribby2001

The rear doors are also single mid-bass drivers or tweeter/midbass panel combo's?

6.5" drivers will fit in all four doors?

My plan at this moment:

Replace A-pillar tweeters (size?).

Replace front doors with 6.5" midbass drivers.

Replace rear doors with 6.5" 2-way coax drivers.

Thoughts and critics welcome.

Thank you!

You can do that...but:

The front door speakers have the crossover (for the tweeters) built onto the speaker itself. The full signal heads there first and is split off to the tweeter via a crossover to the tweeter. The crossover is built into the factory 6x8 speaker itself. There is a plug going in (full signal) and another plug going out (tweeter signal) so a regular aftermarket swap with a regular speaker will render your tweeters un-operational. You will need a component system for the front. You can use 6.5" with an adapter plate to fit the 6x8 opening (which I had planned to do) or do what I did and use the 6x8 mids and a seperate tweeter. I used (or ordered, still haven't put in) a set of Infinity 680.9cs components. Another user here already got his put in and was happy with them. Been so cold and nasty here lately I just haven't felt like putting them in...maybe next week.

As for the back, any old 6x8 will do. There are no seperate rear tweeters factory. Just the regular old Ford 6x8 crappy speaker. I originally bought a set of 4 Pioneer Premier TS-D802P for the front and read door locations but was only able to use them in the rear doors due to the front tweeter situation. I still have a brand new set of two left if ya wanna buy them! lol. If I remember correctly, the depth of these speakers is 2.5 inches and everything works fine...no clearance issues at all. You could certainly use a 6.5" speaker back here also with an adapter plate.

I put in a set of the foam speaker baffles and applied a square of Dynamat behind each rear speaker and plan to do the same for the fronts. Certainly doesn't hurt to deaden the resonance and improve the sound.

Edited by klc317

Dang cold here to!

Great! The door speaker openings are designed for 6x8s. Good info KLC317 - Thanks!

I have been looking at DLS speakers. Not sure exactly which model(s) yet.

Now, how to take off the A-pillar panel housing the tweeter?

applied a square of Dynamat behind each rear speaker and plan to do the same for the fronts. Certainly doesn't hurt to deaden the resonance and improve the sound.

There is certainly a difference when you place those square Dynamats directly behind the speakers. Makes the mid-bass tighter without reflections and vibrations from the metal door panel. So easy to do and well worth the effort.

Now, how to take off the A-pillar panel housing the tweeter?

Not sure. Our MKX has a slightly different speaker setup with the tweeters in the front door panel above where the 6x8s are so the A-pillar removal isn't necessary. I would imagine its a simple matter of working it off and pulling the clips loose but I'd ask someone else on here to be sure.